Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Liability and links

• Please log in to reply

buknekkid407

buknekkid407

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I was wondering now that i have a site that im experimenting with on geocitie, if the links i put on there to test could get be into trouble. Do i need the sites permission to put a link to thier page? I took them off for now just in case. Also if i do need permission, one of the links was back to this site so i was wondering where I would go to get permission for a link, if you want me to. Thanks for your time! :tazz:

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Short answer - No

If you take anything from their pages for your own site you need permission but linking too them is fine.

Just make sure your linking to their page not to a picture or something on the page

**Note this info is based on NZ Law, it could be different elsewhere**

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Under US law, linking is authorized as long as it is not detrimental to the site. If you are copying information from the site to put on your own, then you would not necessarily have to ask permission, it depends on the site content, as long as you put the source of the information.(IE you quote a statement from the site, you have to put the direct link to that source under the quote, as well as put quotations or use a different character font like italics.)

some sites like being linked too as it gives more visibility of the site to the site owner. Some sites don't like linking, If in doubt contact the site admin to find out their personal feelings on it.

Linking to geekstogo is ok more info can be obtained from Here

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
some sites don't like being linked too (and even have them banned, i.e. even if you DO make a link to them, it won't be active) because of the extra bandwith it wastes.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Mosts sites who want to limit direct linking can easily do so. I havent done it on my site yet because I am still encouraging linking to raise my status with search engines. However, once it gets bigger, I will kill all linking to any images on my site with a simple .htaccess file in the root directory. Its actually very simple to set up.

A good tutorial on that here.

http://www.swish-db....iew.php/tid/373

ScHwErV :tazz:

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

some sites don't like being linked too (and even have them banned, i.e. even if you DO make a link to them, it won't be active) because of the extra bandwith it wastes.

AFIK, the only way to waste bandwidth would be with image linking (ie using images from the site to link to it without having the image directly downloading from the site that it links to.) if they are using text links or they have copied images and saved them to their servers most site owners don't mind, unless they are copywritten images. If you are using images from the site you are linking to, then it would be appropriate to contact the site owner/administrator prior to doing so regardless of which way it is done.

Mosts sites who want to limit direct linking can easily do so. I havent done it on my site yet because I am still encouraging linking to raise my status with search engines. However, once it gets bigger, I will kill all linking to any images on my site with a simple .htaccess file in the root directory. Its actually very simple to set up.

A good tutorial on that here.

http://www.swish-db....iew.php/tid/373

ScHwErV :tazz:

I use that same protocol on my site, it's actually something included in the Cpanel on gtghosting. so there is no need to use a special .htaccess code as far as I can tell. That doesn't mean that it's safe regardless. where there's a will there is a way as some of us know from malware fighting.

Edited by Dragon, 16 February 2006 - 03:14 PM.

buknekkid407

buknekkid407

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Okay thanks for the info. Helps me out alot!! :tazz: