Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suspicious file: i_bpk_lite.exe

• Please log in to reply

Ren

Ren

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK I downloaded this file from Tucows trying to get a keylogging program. While I was downloading my anti virus program picked up 2 virus-signatures which I told it to wipe. Now this application is on my desktop and can't be removed - when I try to do so it says it's being used by another person or program. I also tried deleting it in Safe Mode, to no avail. This has me a bit worried... :tazz:

PS: sorry if I have the wrong forum here. My computer runs Windows XP.

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
You actually downloaded a bad keylogger from the looks of things. :tazz: You can read more about this HERE

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Ren

Ren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK I ran through the steps on that Symantec site, but couldn't find any of the folders or registry values it was talking about... I guess my AV blocked those from being created? I also went to the malware forum that you provided the link for. Couldn't find the "CLICK HERE" anywhere. Had a look at the pinned topics but nothing seemed to be appropriate. I've also run an AV check using that online "F-Secure", as well as Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D scans which returned nothing special. I did manage to delete the file though. Here's what I did.

1: open task manager. I stopped all of the processes that didn't come up with the error of "critical process" except for explorer. Tried deleting - no go. Also tried deleting through the command prompt at this point no go.

2: Stopped explorer, then seing as that takes any other way of getting to it away, I ran command through the task manager (File --> New Task (Run..)). Typed in "cd desktop" to get the the folder the file was in (on my desktop obviously) then put in "del i_bpk_lite.exe". It worked! Restarted explorer through task manager. Success! It's gone. Did a restart and now everything seems fine.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
You should still post a hijack this log just in case you've picked something else up.