Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Limited A/c cannot access Micros. Picture It Publishing

• Please log in to reply

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Not sure if this is the correct forum. I have windows XP home. I have one account for myself which has admin privileges. I have another account for my daughter which does not (it is a limited a/c). She needs to do schoolwork and wants to use Microsoft Picture It Publishing. She cannot use it on her login because she does not have admin privileges. I have to login to enable her to use it. Can this be changed so she can use it from her login?
Thank you for your help. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
boy how dumb is that? There is a reason for this function, but Microsoft has criticized software developers in the past for writing software that requires elevated privilidges, but now they do it? Shame, shame

Locate the program (executable) you want to start in Windows Explorer

Press and hold down the SHIFT key while you right-click the program icon, and then click Run as.

Click Run the program as the following user, and then type the user name, password of the administrator account that you want to use (this would be yours, I suppose).

Now the trick will be finding the executable

To do that. find a shortcut to the file, right click, choose properties, and look for TARGET--this will tell you where the program is, for example

c:\program files\Microsoft Picture IT\?????.exe

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Hey Gerry. Thanks for your help.

Have tried that and got the following message:

"If your computer is running Windows 2000 or Windows NT, you must have administrative access privileges to start this program" and suggested I check with my Administrator!

This was after I tried to run the executable as my daughter's login. At first it was a logon failure because she doesn't have a password, so I gave her a password and tried again and got the above.

I look forward to further suggestions. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Wait a second--are you sure you followed that, and that you have privilidges to run the program? Take a second look at the directions again, it should work

If it fails with your username an dpassword, try ADMINISTRATOR as user and leave password blank (if this is Xp HOME)

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Thanks Gerry

Tried it again and noticed a checkbox saying "Protect my computer and data from unauthorised program activity" which was checked. So I unchecked this and followed your instructions and 'da da' it works perfectly - :tazz:

Thank you again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
:tazz: right back atcha and tell your daughter we're all expecting As on that report card