Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer slow

• Please log in to reply

shel2004

shel2004

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I have the a dell dimension computer with Windows XP. I am using McAfee virus scan. I run a scan pretty often. It always says no infected files found. This computer is only 2 months old and it seems at times to be so slow. I often delete my temp. internet files so I do not have so much junk slowing my computwer down (or at least I think that is what it does.) Any suggestions as to why a newer computer could be so slow. At times pages take a while to come up. Maybe it is my internet service (DSL).

Advertisements

Zan

Zan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Use ctr+alt+del and shut down the mcafee files, all of them. Try your connection and check your overall speed. We had the same problem on my husbands computer. With Mcafee off it sped right along. He removed Mcafee and switched to avg. No more slow downs or systems lock up on start up. Hope this helps.
Zan

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I did ctr+alt+del. But when it came up it didn't show anything. I saw applications and it was an empty box. How do I download avg, where to go. Is it free, and can I just delete McAfee off my computer. I have the disc here for it anyway if I needed to download it again for some reason.

Zan

Zan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'm afraid it's not that simple. First when you ctr/alt/del the mcafee files will start with mc. If you have the disk just go to the control/add remove programs and remove it. That will get enough of it to see. Restart after you remove it and see if the system is fasterr. Make sure you close or exit the icon on the desktop before attempting to remove it or it will say 'unable to remove, program in use'. If the system is faster then you know its the culprit. Yes, avg is free and I've run it for three years without a glitch. There is a version for purchase as well. You can find the link on the home page of this site. The problem is after you uninstall Mcafee it leaves registry files that can cause you problems later. You need a tech to help you with the right program to remove the registry keys. I do my own registry work, but leave that to the techs on this site as it is very easy to really mess up your system if you're not familiar with working in the registry. Hope this helps. Zan

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks for the info. One last question then I will be off. Do I post in this forum for help with registry files. Thanks!!!! :tazz:

Zan

Zan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Not sure, but would probably be a good place to start. Just look for a staff symbol on the replies and be careful who's advice you follow. Most of the advice I've gotten here has been right on, but I'm always careful. I wouldn't trust anybody but a tech with my bios or registry. Here's the link to avg: http://www.freeavgtr...?o=1&?source=ga
Have a good day!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The actually link to the free version of AVG Antivirus is http://free.grisoft....2/lng/us/tpl/v5. This is the free version and not a trail of the professional (paid) version.

Fenor

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Okay I have downloaded the free AVG. I was told I may need to get rid of some registry things that McAffee may have left behind. Is this so? What would i need to do now? And have I posted in the correct forum? :tazz:

Zan

Zan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
So it was the Mcafee slowing it down?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Always is. McCrappy is horrible, same with PMS, I mean NIS. :tazz:

Fenor

Advertisements

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Seems like it. My computer seems to be running faster. But now I am worried about these registry things you were talking about. (By the way I am bummed about McAfee. I paid 30.00 for that stupid program and heard good things about it. Oh well, live and learn) :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you gone into ADD/REMOVE programs and uninstalled everything relating to McAfee?

Fenor

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
:tazz: OOOh my computer is flying now!! Sweet! I just double checked and I see nothing McAfee in the add/remove section. I removed the two I saw in there. McAfee Virus Scan and McAfee security center.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Good :tazz: Now open MY COMPUTER, double-click on C:\ and then PROGRAM FILES and if there is a mcafee.com folder in there, delete it. Also make sure to remove it from the Recycle bin as well.

Fenor

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Checked nothing McAfee in the program files and nothing in the recycle bin left. Does thi smean I am good to go (hoping)