Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-ROM DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jswansonsr

jswansonsr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am running Win2K Professional on a Micron Clientpro CS. I have 2 IDE hard drives, a NEC 282 CD-ROM (read only) and a Plextor USB CD-Rom (R/W), and 256 Kb of memory on board. Also have an Iomega Zip drive, and a 256Mb thumb drive. As recently as Wednesday, both the CD-ROM drives were working because I copied a CD from the NEC to the Plextor (no copyright violation involved!). Then by Friday (maybe Thursday) both these drives disappeared from "My Computer". A look at the Device Manager shows both drives present, but with a warning icon and a message that Windows cannot load the drivers. The driver files appear to be OK in the drivers folder on WINNT/System32.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled these drives about a dozen times -- no luck. In "My Computer", the drive letters did not rearrange, that is, the drive letters are just removed from the list.

Any suggestion as to what may be the problem, and how to solve it, will be appreciated. I am relatively computer literate, and I'm not afraid to fiddle with the registry or to move system files around. (I didn't do any of that between the last time I used the drives and the time they disappeared, though.)

Thanks for helping.

Jim S.

Advertisements

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Look here,

http://www.geekstogo...IZED-t9819.html

B