Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All exe programs do not open :confused:

• Please log in to reply

Meera

Meera

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there

When I woke up this morning I switched on My laptop and I received a message from ad aware asking whether or not to block something I was still sleepy and blocked without checking what it was.

Afterwards when I try to open any program whether it be my modem or my tune up or try to uninstall a program as I thought uninstalling ad aware would remedy my problem it just doesnt work anything i try to open even add remove programs or system restore anything gives me this message:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create association in the folder options control panel

:tazz:
Please help

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do start > run > regedit...does the registry editor come up?

if not....open my computer and go to c:\windows\ look for regedit.exe....copy that file...and change the name to regedit.com
(you may need to go to tools > folder options > view > uncheck hide extensions for known file types)

Please be careful as the following steps involve editing registry settings. Editing the registry can be dangerous, and you should only continue with this step if you feel totally comfortable with this risk.

Start > Run, type in regedit.com

Click on file > export. Select a location in the Save in section that will be easy to locate(such as your c: drive), put "BACKUP" in the file name section, make sure the all radio button is selected in the "Export Range section. then click save.
This will make a back up of your registry so that you can restore it if something goes wrong

now do start > run > regedit.com
navigate to hkey_classes_root and look for .exe
make sure that in the right side it says
exefile for the default
and application/x-msdownload for content type...

after that...see if you can open any exe files....if n ot...reboot and try...if you're able to run exe's now....

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Meera

Meera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
is it really necessary to do all of this can I not solve this in any simpler way??????? Its ad aware im sure of it that caused all of this, cant i reove itor do something to be able to restorethe system to how it was yesterday????

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
If you can, do start > run> type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

this will bring up the system restore utility...restore to a date previous to the error... as you will notice....rstrui is an exe..so if you can't run exe's it may not work

Meera

Meera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried both steps to open registry editor but its not letting me. Sorry to be such a nuiscance but any other solutions would be welcome :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you created a regedit.com? and did start > run > regedit.com ? and that didn't work?

Meera

Meera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yeah it says not found, and when i browse for the actual file, i see a regedit and a regedit.com, i click the .com one and it says choose a program to open it with. :/

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
(you may need to go to tools > folder options > view > uncheck hide extensions for known file types)
did you do that step?

Meera

Meera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
no not really i thought there was only one regedit file, so if there is two that appear when i put view all hiden files n folders, what do i do?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there is only one regedit file...but i had you copy one and change the extension....what you probably did was create a file named regedit.com.exe...hence the (you may need to go to tools > folder options > view > uncheck hide extensions for known file types)
thing

Meera

Meera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried to show hidden files but whenever i change the name of registry it automatically creates a new regedit copy. I tried running regedit.com but it doesnt work it still wants me to choose a program to open it with. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

you're gonna have to try your best at this portion of the instructions then...

Meera

Meera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Give me a straight link please. i cannot find what you mean by ClCIK HERE, is it the CLICK HERE before posting a hijackthis log? and if so none of the soolutions help, all it tells you is how to use anti spyware stuff. Thank you>

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
click on the link in my signature that says malware forum

at the top you should see these words

Malware Removal Forum Rules
Click Here before posting a Hijack This log.
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with e.g. Winhound, Spyaxe etc. Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections.
Please only post your topic once. Duplicate posts will be closed, and just create additional work for the staff members trying to help you.
Do not 'bump' or reply to your topic. We look first for posts with no replies, and we start with the oldest posts and work forward. Bumping will delay a reply.

that's the click here