Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help, no devices present

• Please log in to reply

kcolman48039

kcolman48039

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I'm in need of some help and hope this is the proper place to post this question.
I am running windows XP
I ran McAfee two nights ago and now all of my devices are not present. There were a handful of files that showed up as infected with IE Homepage something or other so I deleted them and there were other files that McAfee had deleted automatically. I think I then ran Clean It! and it wiped everything out of my recycle bin and When I did a restart, nothing seemed to work (Mozilla, Media Player, etc) I went to device managers thinking I just had to turn the modem back on and the page was a blank white window with no device managers present. I spoke with emachines customer support and the guy was totally useless and didn't even know what device managers was, but he had me go to processes and wanted me to reset plug & play or something but it wasn't there. He said that I was running a cropped operating system and I had no choice but to wipe out my hard drive and reload XP. Do you have any other suggestions of what I can do to fix the issue. Since I have an emachines computer I don't have an XP disk, just a restore CD. I hope someone can help. Thanks. Kristin

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Try the following:
Start -> Run.
Type: regsvr32 dmocx.dll
Press <enter>.
If the above command does'nt work please continue on with the next step
Please be careful as the following steps involve editing registry settings. Editing the registry can be dangerous, and you should only continue with this step if you feel totally comfortable with this risk.

Start > Run, type in regedit

Click on file > export. Select a location in the Save in section that will be easy to locate(such as your c: drive), put "BACKUP" in the file name section, make sure the all radio button is selected in the "Export Range section. then click save.
This will make a back up of your registry so that you can restore it if something goes wrong

Check the permissions of the following key in regedit:
HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\ENUM
Steps for checking permissions of the above key:
Start -> Run.
Type: regedit
Press <enter>
Go to: HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\ENUM.
On the left-pane, Right-click on ENUM and choose Permissions.
In the new dialog box, check if, either Everyone has read permissions, your user has read permissions, or if System is listed and has Read & Full Control permissions.
If not :
Click on Add, Choose SYSTEM from list, click on Add, Click on OK
Click on OK
Do the above steps to add permissions to this key to both the Everyone group, and your current user profile
Reboot!
Click Start, Run, type services.msc, and then click OK
Double-click Plug and Play
If you receive a Configuration Manager message, click OK
In the Startup Type list, click Automatic, and then click OK
Close Services.
Restart the computer.

If the above steps do not work then Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum with "POSSIBLE ROOTKIT" in the title.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

kcolman48039

kcolman48039

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, I'll try it. I'll also try a repair installation.

tstubbs457

tstubbs457

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
just for the sake of education:
1/ what <in general> was the general process that caused this problem to occur (cf. above posts)
and
2/what is the suggested fix doing ?
this is for my further edification/ learning--
if you have no time to reply-- i understand.
thanks.

peace,

-t.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
question #1...could be any number of things...usually it's malware..but could be a few other things..

question #2

Try the following:
Start -> Run.
Type: regsvr32 dmocx.dll
Press <enter>.

this is regregistering a windows .dll file that is neccessary for alot of different operations in windows...especially the device manager display

Start > Run, type in regedit

Click on file > export. Select a location in the Save in section that will be easy to locate(such as your c: drive), put "BACKUP" in the file name section, make sure the all radio button is selected in the "Export Range section. then click save.
This will make a back up of your registry so that you can restore it if something goes wrong

self explanitory...makes a reg backup

Check the permissions of the following key in regedit:
HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\ENUM
Steps for checking permissions of the above key:
Start -> Run.
Type: regedit
Press <enter>
Go to: HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\ENUM.
On the left-pane, Right-click on ENUM and choose Permissions.
In the new dialog box, check if, either Everyone has read permissions, your user has read permissions, or if System is listed and has Read & Full Control permissions.
If not :
Click on Add, Choose SYSTEM from list, click on Add, Click on OK
Click on OK
Do the above steps to add permissions to this key to both the Everyone group, and your current user profile
Reboot!

this ensures taht you have permissions to the proper registry keys to allow for the viewing of the areas of your system that dev manager uses particularly the enumeration service which is how the items get listed

Click Start, Run, type services.msc, and then click OK
Double-click Plug and Play
If you receive a Configuration Manager message, click OK
In the Startup Type list, click Automatic, and then click OK
Close Services.
Restart the computer.

if the plug and play service isn't running..it can cause issues with the display of dev manager (don't know why as of yet..but i know it's neccessary)

If the above steps do not work then Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum with "POSSIBLE ROOTKIT" in the title.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

get's you to a place where our malware guys can help clean up any infections that would cause this.

tstubbs457

tstubbs457

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
thanks for your patience---
i am really learning something here-

-peace,

-t