Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows keep opening from other program...shortcut keys?

• Please log in to reply

ItNeverEnds

ItNeverEnds

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm working with a specialized software for my lab and using MacroMagic in conjunction. (MacroMagic is just a "programming for dummies" app used due to some severe limitations of the lab software.) MacroMagic is just a recorder, doing exactly what I put in including mouse mvmts, key presses, etc.

The problem is that certain key presses activated by MacroMagic (two are "Alt+d+s" and "Alt+t+m") open other application windows (Windows Media Player and Firefox, respectively) disrupting the running macro. If I press these by hand (either sequentially or all together) while in the lab program, nothing happens.

I've been scouring the web for where I might find keyboard shortcuts that could explain this, but have had no luck. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, that is interesting....hitting alt followed by a key on the windows desktop will activate icons, but it normally takes something like enter to load them...if you have said icons on your desktop, delete them (add them to the quick run bar next to the start menu)

see if that helps

ItNeverEnds

ItNeverEnds

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried removing them from the desktop, task bar and start menu recently used programs. I also checked their properties to ensure that there was no shortcut key set for the programs.

As an additional piece of information, I have found that it actually is just an individual key opening the programs from MacroMagic (e.g., 'b' open the system volume bar; 'f' open the calculator). It still occurs even when no other programs are opened to start.

I've written the developers of MacroMagic directly to see what could be happening too, but doubt they'll have a great answer, so please keep any brainstorms coming!