Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU usage

• Please log in to reply

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
This is odd.

Whenever I check my CPU usage, using the task manager, performance tab, it says 100% then within a second or two, it drops to 4 or 5 %.

Now, if I leave task manager open and run some off line applications, (open office, spybot, etc) it stays below 40 %. But if I open Firefox or check mail with Thunderbird, it jumps to 99%. When I play any on line game (pogo or yahoo) it stays around 90 + %.

I checked the fans, I have 3 in there. All blowing cool. Blew all the dust bunnies out.

My system is a P 4 1.7 gig, 80 gig HD, 1.0 gig RAM, netgear ethernet card, and cable modem. I'm using Win XP SP2 with lastest updates.

Thanks

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Does usage stay high all of the time or just occasionally as you load new processes? If you look at the processes tab, can you identify one that consistently uses lots of memory and cpu? Lest cut to the chase, are you having trouble because of this or not?

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks for the help Austin

Most the time when I open task manager its high, then drops to 4-7 %.

Not having trouble with the system. It download slow, but that could be my server.

Just want to make sure nothing is wrong with the system.

Thanks for the help

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
that actually always happens when you check your cpu usage, it goes high for a little bit, and then it drops and that's your real cpu usage. 4-7% isnt bad