Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I.E. and or O.E. in SP2 install CD?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
My Outlook Express is corrupted. Does the SP2 install CD contain I.E. so that by re installing SP2 my problem might be fixed?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Plutox!

Just click on ADD/REMOVE Windows Components inside ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS which you access in the CONTROL PANEL and you will see OE listed. Just uncheck the box and click next and have it get uninstalled, then go back in there and put a checkmark back in it and click Next and OE will be reinstalled.

Fenor

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Hi Fenor

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I had tried your suggestion before and have just tried it again but I get the same message when accessing OE viz. 'O.E. has encountered a problem and needs to close'.

If you have any other ideas I'd be grateful.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Lets make sure that this isn't related to any type of malware first before fixing something that will just become corrupted again.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Fenor

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I did what I could of the clean up , malaware, virus, updates etc., etc. except for the Trend Housecall as they email me a link which I cannot receive as my OE/email is not working.

But no resolve on re boot. The posting a Hijack This Log is confusing. The webpage seems to have two webpages connected. Viz. http://www.geeksto go.com./modules.............&id=3-
http://www.merijin.org. What is this?

The Outlook Express error detail has: Error Signature - AppName: msimn.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
ModName: wab32.dll ModVer: 6.0.2900 2180 Offset: 0000c516

Any use?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
either or--same program

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
The 1st URL just gets me to your home page and the 2nd to a commercial download site selling movies etc.

What I can tell you is that no bad things were found but these messages were shown:
From 'Shredder' - Restoring IE pages 0 Restored
Restoring hidden IE Options tabs Done
Removing Hosts file redirections None infected
CoolWebSearch was not found

SpyBot Windows Security Center SP2 Update 1 Entry
RealDownloadExpress 4 Entries

Any use?
Thanks for any help you are giving -getting desperate!

Oh since this problem my screen can freeze after 1 min or 5 hours - firdt time in the 2 years I've had this computer

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Just so we're clear, the links on that page that say DOWNLOAD and HOMEPAGE are not working? The are both working for me

Step Five: Posting a Hijack This Log
Hijack This - Download - Homepage

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
This time merijn got me to a completely different page which looks appropriate but I'm afraid I don't understand it or what to do with it. Hijack This is nowhere mentioned. I don't see any download button. If you would kindly explain I'll try to go forward on it.
Firstly though could you address these perhaps useful points.

There are two other computers on my network which have fewer 'walls' than mine which have not been troubled using our new broadband firewalled router. I have AVG, Prevx, AOL spyscan, MS spyware and SpyBot all run and kept updated. I have had no trouble for the 2 years using AOL but just now started using O.E.

As a last resort would I be out of trouble if, God forbid, I should use my reload CD to get my computer back to 'factory setting'. Does this procedure get round any viruses etc. if I have them?

Could I download 'Netscape' and forget about OE to get round this?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Just after sending the last post I tried to opes O.E. which triggers a Registry Event by Prevx I have always allowed this (being something to do with Messenger) but began writing out by hand the following info to send for yoyr comment.
Taking some time to do this, suddenly O.E. came up and I was able to read and send emails! I denied the Prevx warning and all seems well - for how long I don't know.

For your info the Prevx warning said...
The Application Windows Messenger is trying to modify reg. key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-4138.........with ""C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe/baqckground

Does this tell you anything?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you do not use windows messenger run this

http://grc.com/files...hemessenger.exe

See if the quick start guide for Hijack This helps

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for all your attention.
All seems to be OK now (altho I don't know how or why) even before running 'shootthemessenger'. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know