Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Server Migration?

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Help!!! i have a complex home network which is simillar to corperation or a school network setup with a domain and such. and i am building a newer computer to act as my server.

this server is my NAT server, DHCP, Active Directory, and User profile storage. this will be migrated to a much faster machine and i am looking for any suggestions to help the migration go faster and less of a hassel.

Now before you all go and tell me to get a router. i have decided this is what i want to do and i want to learn how to use this, my copy of windows 2003 server is the trail edition by microsoft.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there's no way to make a domain migration easier...hehe...

but give these a read
http://www.microsoft...ok/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft...bf_upg_rxyt.asp

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Hey Dsenette, I like your icon. :tazz::):)

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
i was told since im running 2k3 is to get the other server up and running, setup all the services, then "push" all the Master Domain Controller Functions to the new server.

i was told that would be the easiest route to go.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it is p ossible...i've never personally done an AD migration...i've seen it done...but i wasn't as knowledgable as i am now about the stuff...so NONE of it made sense....i would do alot of reading and alot of backing up before tring it....

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
all the FSOM are pushed to my new server, so all i need to do is verify that all the comps in side the domain can see the new domain controller, and take my old server offline for the test.