Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee gone

• Please log in to reply

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
I have the new McAfee Internet Security suite and i have very big problems, this has been working perfectly for ages and everything was running fine but now the graphical part of the application has dissapeared and is just a blank screen. I can't scan for viruses and can't search for spyware, but the services are all still active and if a virus enters the system it still tells me but the main application bit is just White. I can't even uninstall the application to re-insatll it becuase the uninstall thing just shows white as well. any help would be appreciated thankyou.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you tried add and remove

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
this has not been fixed, but i have run sacns with others and have found that there was a big virus that was killing my computer so i have had to re-install windows.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
McAfee installs now though?

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK Mcafee did re-install after the new windows was installed but today it has done exactly the same thing which is very annoying. Please help me

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you download the trial of Tune Up 2006 (fully functional for 30 days)

Open it then click administer and control, tune up uninstall manager to see if McAfee shows there, if so, highlight it then click uninstall software

Then run through this and then re-install McAfee

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok i will try that now

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok this will not work, because it loads up McAfee's uninstaller and this just shows a blank screen for ever and will not do anything. So i can't uninstall the McAfee application.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you run through the second part from Tune Up disc clean up, registry clean up etc, it should find the errors

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok doing that now i will let you know if it works.

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok I have done all of that and it found quite a lot of problems but still there is stil a problem with McAfee even after restarting each time.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has the option to uninstall it with add / remove or tune up uninstall returned

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
The uninstall option to remove McAfee in Add/Remove programs has always been there and the McAfee application is fully installed but when i load up a part of McAfee it just shows the top of the program but the main application is white. It is the same with the uninstaller, it shows the bar at the top but the main part is just white so i can't do anything to the application. The active/Real time protection is still active and still works fine and is still protecting me from viruses and hackers but i just cant get into the main program to download updates or run any scans.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Ok this will not work, because it loads up McAfee's uninstaller and this just shows a blank screen for ever and will not do anything. So i can't uninstall the McAfee application

I took that to mean you could not use add / remove for it

Will it install this

http://download.nai....el/sdat4702.exe

http://www.mcafee.co...at_download.asp

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
it said it was unable to find any qualifying products