Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

McAfee gone

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use search to look for McAfee including hidden and system files, send any you find to the recycle bin

Run tune up disc clean up the registry clean up

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot

Run some online scans

You can run these Online Scans

Panda Scan

House Call

Trend Micro Spyware Scan

Kaspersky Online Scan

Install McAfee if they come back clear

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok I have found a way to Uninstall McAfee. i am using a program called IOLO system mechanic 6 Pro and it is uninstalling it without the uninstaller from McAfee and is getting rid of everything. I will then run the scans.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok i have fully uninstalled McAfee and then tried the scans (no viruses) then tried to re-install it and have the same problem with the installation, just a white screen. Could this mean it is a problem with my PC.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will check the system files and the drive, though if other software has installed and runs properly, it may be McAfee not getting on with any of the recent Microsoft Updates, or anything which was installed when the problem showed up

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you will need the XP CD

System File Check will display an onscreen blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok I'Ve have run this and tryed to install McAfee again but the same thing is happening. I have contacted a friend who is having the same problem and this seemed to happen after running Windows Update.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A repair install will remove SP2 and all other Microsoft Updates, you could do that, install McAfee then install the updates a few at a go, (untick most of them to start and so on), which may show you which one is causing the problem with McAfee.

You can use these to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter and as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK i have found what was stopping McAfee. It was Internet Explorer Beta Preview 2, I uninstalled this and it fixed the blank screen but it is now saying that McAfee is already installed on my PC but it isn't.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have McAfee folder in programme files, move it to my documents

It will be worth running through tune up (post 6) after moving the McAfee folder

Try Installing it

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK I have done that but it still says they it is installed and tells me to remove it using Add/Remove programs but it is not there.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type regedit then press enter

When the registry editor opens, click file then export, check the dot is in all for export range, name and then save the file which is likely to be 60 + MB

Click the + next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER then click + next to software, look for McAfee, left click to highlight then right click to delete, confirm

Do this with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software to look for and delete McAfee

Delete the McAfee folder you moved to my documents, reboot

See if it finds McAfee

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok I have got McAfee Internet Security Suite Installed but i now have a new McAfee Problem. When everything loads up McAfee Personal Firewall, Virus Scanner and Spamkiller do not load up, then i get a message from McAfee saying that the underlying service could not be started.

Posted Image

this error Just constantly appears again and again even after restarting my computer.

Edited by CJIS, 28 February 2006 - 10:38 AM.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok only Just has McAfee Firewall Plus activated after about 5 Minutes of trying but Spamkiller and Virus Scan are still disabled and will not enable

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode with networking, a minute or so after it gets to the desktop, start McAfee if it hasn't already

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok I did that and they still didn't activate. now though when that message appears if i click retry and then try and enable it and then the next time click cancel it activates the firewall, but spamkiller says it cant communicate with the server and to start it manually, so i did and still it says it is activated in the system tray but the main application says it isnt and also the Virus scan just won't enable at all.

Edited by CJIS, 28 February 2006 - 11:17 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you run tune up registry and disc clean up

Are McAfee tech support easy to get hold of