Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scratch that. To learn C++ do you need have coding experience with som

• Please log in to reply

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I found what i need in google about what it's for etc, So next up, do really need to have any past coding experience to learn C++ or is it easy?

Edited by StudentBusiness12, 16 February 2006 - 06:24 PM.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
you might want to start with C. if C is 'easy' for you, then you can 'easily' move on to C++, javascript, java, and php. and if any other offshoots were left out, we will see another post or 2(or 3...).

Krizniak

Krizniak

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Is C++ a difficult language ? Yes, certainly, compared to Visual Basic or other more high-level languages...
Is C++ difficult to learn ? Definitively not ! Like other 'traditional' languages, it has keywords, functions with or without return values, variable definition, user-defined types and so on...
What make the difficulty of C++ is more a question of freedom given by designers, and notions that are sometimes difficult to understand (pointers and similarity between arrays and pointers arithmetics, functions signatures, COM object invocation and so on...)

One of the + of C++ : You can still, if you want, have a procedural way of doing things.
One of the - of C++ : You can still, if you want, have a procedural way of doing things.

What do I mean ?
If you start learning C++, you must have the ambition of doing object oriented programming (otherwise, I suggest you to learn C). If you don't ever heard this term, I refer you to the first chapters of the Bruce Eckel online book Thinking in C++ that you can find here : http://mindview.net/...nloadingTheBook.

The suggestion given by bdlt is comprehensive, but I don't agree. If you learn C, you will learn a way of programming that is not at all an object oriented development method.
And when you will come to OP (or OOP in C++), you will have a lot of things to un-learn to re-learn other things.

Last point I will mention here : do you want to participate in Open Source projects ? If so, I think that you should really take the road of C language, because most of existing projects use C...

If you really want to learn another easy (and huge !!) object language, the best suggestion that I can offer you is to take Java Tutorials (on Sun sites) and learn Java.

There is no 'made answer' to this question. Everything depends of you, what you want, what are your skills and your motivation, and so on