Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Stops

• Please log in to reply

rjessem

rjessem

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Windows XP with current version of WMP:

If I'm watching a video (especially if I click on the video timeline to move ahead in the video), the sound will simply stop. Not just in WMP, but the sound on the entire computer will stop until I either log off/on or restart. I have had multiple sets of speakers and this phenomenon is not necessarily limited to WMP, but that is when i notice it most often.

Adding more strangeness, when i do log off or shut down in order to restart the sound, my computer makes the "goodbye" sounds!!! it just won't play any sounds and i haven't found a way to "fool" it into thinking i'm logging off so that the sound kicks back in without doing so...

thanks!
jesse

Advertisements

the_gh0st

the_gh0st

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Sounds like one of those unfixable Windows glitches. I suggest using System Restore. Choose the most recent restore point before this started happening:

Start > All Programs > Accesories > System Tools > System Restore

The wizard is pretty self-explainatory. I also suggest switching media players, as anything Windows SUCKS. (sorry bout the strong opinion)

rjessem

rjessem

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks, gh0st!

any particular player you'd recommend? Quicktime? Thanks again!

jesse

the_gh0st

the_gh0st

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
So it worked? I suggest iTunes, it plays video now. www.itunes.com

Edited by the_gh0st, 21 February 2006 - 09:02 PM.