Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE Not working for me!

• Please log in to reply

Wtoad

Wtoad

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ok my little brother I think could officially ruin anything. I just put my old computer in his room about a couple weeks ago, and within a week the internet does not work anymore. The cable modem says that the internet is running fine, all the correct lights are blinking, and my new computer and my parents computer are both getting their wireless internet through the router on the old computer. So my problem is I get on the old computer and try and sign in on MSN or click to open internet explorer, and it says that their is no internet to be found everything is plugged in I don't understand what is a matter. Actually, if you click on IE 1000 times it won't even open the explorer screen the computer will just get the hour glass mouse part and then it will go away and nothing will happen. Anybody have any idea on this brain buster I have tried everything i can think of! Thanks a ton, not just from me but my brother too because I think he's on the verge of getting in a lot of trouble :S. -Wtoad

Advertisements

kr2464

kr2464

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,
No solutions, having a similar problem and i have a cable connection.
Been looking through this foru, we're not the only ones.

Stinks, huh.
:tazz:

Wtoad

Wtoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
That really sucks I can't believe that their is nothing you can do about that. And nobody in this forum even comes to this room and helps from what i see anyways!

kr2464

kr2464

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Maybe they don't know what we can do?
I'm almost to the point of reinstalling Windows and losing all my files.

If I do, and it *still* doesn't work, maybe I should go back to dialup. At least that worked!

kr2464

kr2464

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Wtoad!!

By any chance do you have Zonealarm?

Try uninstalling it and then doing a clean install.

I just did that, it worked for me.

Good luck!

Wtoad

Wtoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
searched the whole C drive didnt find a trace of zonealarm.... dang internet still doesnt work!
any other ideas?

webxican

webxican

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
This may sound lame but it is worth a shot.

http://support.micro...com/kb/q175722/

Good Luck.

suckaf00

suckaf00

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
you may get more responses if you try posting a new topic about how your IE doesnt work, instead of posting it inside of a topic about mozilla firefox.

JaW22

JaW22

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Well. Can you tell me a little more about the problem. So the old computer is wireless in your brothers room?

Go to network connections
Right click and get the status of the connection.
Click the Support tab.
Tell me what u see.

Also tell me what u see on the general tab.

I am interested in helping out. So provide me with some more info so we can get this thing fixed.

senshisteph

senshisteph

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

you may get more responses if you try posting a new topic about how your IE doesnt work, instead of posting it inside of a topic about mozilla firefox.

View Post

;) suckaf00, um, read the topic title ....
"IE not working for me"
Yes, oops :tazz:

I agree it may be your network connection settings - and most apps will use your browser connection settings by default.
Either go to network settings, or in IE tools=>options=>connections and make sure your connection settings are still there.

Oh, just occured to me - make sure your computer is using the LAN connection - it only takes one box to be unchecked and it will try to dial up instead.

Advertisements

Wtoad

Wtoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Does it help you guys out any if when the computer starts it has the back ground saying that the page cant be displayed and you have to click the blue writing on the screen then ur background changes

Wtoad

Wtoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ok got rid of the background problem, but anyways I tried to find the wsock32 not a one of them existed on the computer. Same way with network connections looked everywhere. Lan Settings were automatically turned on no dial up settings were present. And i noticed when i open my computer it says Work Offline or Try Again..... Some more information on the computer. Its a HP with Windows 98 that we have a Cable router and a wireless router hub type thing hooked up to it so it can deliver internet 2 the other 2 computers in our house. THe other 2 computers internet work fine and both the cable modems on the hub computer say that they have internet flowing through them but somehow the internet on the computer wont work period can't even open windows explorer.

webxican

webxican

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

What OS is running on the old computer? You may have to assign a static IP address from the wireless router. I've had to do that for older computers.

Example Wirelss router let's say is a D-Link. Router IP 192.168.0.1

on the old computer you should have let's say.

IP Address 192.168.0.120 (depending on what your IP address range is. 100 -199)

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Preferred DNS 192.168.0.1 (needs to be the router ip address)

This is just an overview. If you let me know what operating system is on your old computer I can be more specific. If you want screen shots of how it should look just email me.

Thanks

Webxican

webxican

webxican

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok Windows 98.

If you go to start>run and type winipcfg You should get a window IP configuration. Click on the More Info>> tab and see what settings you have? Respond back with the settings. Also what is the brand name of the wireless router? D-Link? Netgear? Linksys? Belkin?

Thanks

Webxican.

Wtoad

Wtoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
The name on the cable modem is Toshiba the wireless router is D-link. I Clicked the whole winipcfg thing and it came up as PPP Adapter, and the alternate option that was not selected was Netgear Fa311. What are the settings i am looking for?