Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

games skip and framerate degrades after my new system is on for awhile

• Please log in to reply

metalboss

metalboss

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I just put together my new system the specs are:

ECS K8T890-A
AMD dual core 3800+ 2.0ghz
PNY geforce 6800gs 256mb
512 mbs kingston 3200

After a bit of using my computer, the games start to stutter very badly, I play far cry at 1600 x 1200 usually but even at any resolution it just seems to skip a few frames and it really looks bad, its a constant effect so it doesn't go away after playing a bit but it runs perfectly when i restart my system but I have no idea why this happens. I understand 512mbs is very low, but it runs perfectly on a fresh boot. Could I have a possible memory leak? Do you guys think this would all go away with 1gb of memory?

I have tried defragmenting, underclocking, & disabling services but it doesn't seem to work, the only thing that does work is restarting.

Edited by metalboss, 16 February 2006 - 07:13 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so....after you pleay the games for a while (how long...is it always the same amount of time?)....they all start to get choppy?

check your temps at startup then check again when the chppieness starts...

it could be a memory leak...but let's go on the thermal side for now

metalboss

metalboss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
it seems to be after I use the computer for over an hour , I just tried to reinstall the drivers but it still happens. my cpu idles at 40 at boot and my card idles at 39 usually.

Edited by metalboss, 17 February 2006 - 02:20 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how about under load...and during the lock ups?

metalboss

metalboss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
the most i've seen it get too is 69 degrees, it stays pretty cool. Its weird because I can play farcry with everything turned up max and keep an average 30 fps, but if I exit, keep my pc idle for another 40+ minutes and then boot the game again I get the horrible skipping/ stuttering. Maybe I shouldn't have skimped out on ram?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
512 isn't really skimping....

in safe mode do start > run > cmd > chkdsk /r it will(should) ask you to reschedule on next boot...tell it yes and reboot..

also go here http://www.memtest.org/ download and run for at least 2 hours to test your ram

metalboss

metalboss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ahh i found that my CPU was being underclocked by windows powerscheme/ cool and quiet. I uninstalled the drivers from the device manager, disabled cool and quiet in the bios and made the power scheme "always on". but alas another very odd problem, the cpu seems to fluctate, don't know if its normal or not. it stays around 1,900 ghz and 2,010 ghz but it has shot up to 2666 ghz, not sure if its a gauge problem or otherwise...

edit: games still stutter like [bleep]

Edited by metalboss, 17 February 2006 - 06:49 PM.

dersu

dersu

• Pip
  • 9 posts
double post

Edited by dersu, 18 February 2006 - 04:23 PM.

dersu

dersu

• Pip
  • 9 posts
The 512 megs of ram is a limit and the stuttering is caused by switching to the page file am I right? His temperatures are extremely high as well though...