Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

networking printer with apple notebook

• Please log in to reply

macintosh

macintosh

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
i'm trying to network my HP printer on my windows xp sp2 with my apple notebook osx 10.4.5. anyone know the sequence of events to make this work. thank you

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
is the printer shared??? can you access your desktop from our apple notebook? can you access files on your desktop from apple notebook?

long as the printer is shared and the permisions are set so everyone can print i dont see why not.

macintosh

macintosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
how do i go about setting the printer to be shared. i run a wireless internet off the computer that has the printer. now i want to be able to use the printer with my windows desktop to print off my apple notebook

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay

Goto my computer

then do the following

control panel (its on the side of the window)

then open Printers And Faxes

then right click on the printer you wish to share, then click sharing...

in the window that opens up, choose Share This Printer, and click okay, your printer is now shared.

and if you can access your files you should be able to access your printer

macintosh

macintosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok i did that, i went to print a doc on my apple notebook and now its asking me question about adding a printer. do you know anything about add a printer to a apple notebook. thank you

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Sadly, Microsoft removed appletalk protocal from XP, so gettng this done is tricky

here is a walkthrough

http://iharder.sourc.../winmacprinter/

macintosh

macintosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i seem to follow, but now i'm getting a busy notification on my mac printing icon stating that my network host (IP address for windows desktop) is busy and will try again in 30 seconds

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it is difficult for me to advise since I have not done this before andhave no way to verify it unless someone sends me a Mac

My first thought--can you ping your PC computer from the MAC using
hostname
ip address?

macintosh

macintosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i don't know what ping is, but i'll take a guess, i don't use my windows PC with my mac, i just want to be able to print something off my mac using my windows printer (hp desktop940). when i went to print something off my mac it proceeded fine until it kept say that my host name was busy

macintosh

macintosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
keep in mind i just want to share my windows xp service pack 2 printer with my mac notebook, i do not want to share files and folders or should i say i don't nee d to.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, I go that..what I want to know is does the MAC see the PC.

Did you open the ports in the windows firewall as directed above?

macintosh

macintosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
yes, i followed the steps, i will check them again, do you have any ideas why or what i could look for that would be giving me a busy alert on my printer icon on my notebook.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, I do not...I am not familiar enough with MACs osx...its default protocal is tcpip, so that part should work, but the waiting thing has me thinking that it cannot connect across the proper ports....

Can you see the printer connected to the PC from the MAC

macintosh

macintosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
can i see the printer connected, explain. on my notebook printer list it shows, host name (my isp #) and the model of my printer hp desktop 900 series. when i choose a protoco; there are three choices...internet printing protocol-ipp.. line printer daemon LPD...and HP direct jet socket. i chose the IPP

macintosh

macintosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
my set up is a windows desktop with a linsky wirless base running off the desktop. i have a mac notebook and another windows desktop in a different floor in my house running wirless. my other desktop window unit also has a printer, now should only one printer be ready for sharing or could both be.