Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

High Ping on COD2 - So Confused - Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All,

I do not know a great deal about computers so please go slow... :tazz:

My problem is simple - y frusturating. Whenever I play COD2 my ping is in the 250+ range. I have a fast computer and 1meg broadband and the truly exasperating thing is that I know it can work. Sometimes, seemingly randomly, my ping goes to below 50, where I believe it always should be able to go considering my specs.

My question is why the [bleep] is my ping normally so high?!?! I try turning off my firewall, and that doesn't work. I am really, really at a loss. Could it have something to do with my router and if so how can I fix that?

I would really appreciate any help but remember... go :) slow please

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,588 posts
well it can be for any number of reasons. I'll give an example to demonstrate. I have a friend who is stationed in thailand. because of this when he connects to our server that is located in NewYork City his ping is around 300. Ping is most affected by latency introuduced by connecting with a wireless card, or by a bad hop, or by many hops (as in my example). When you browser for a server to play on try sorting by ping and go for the one that is the lowest and see if that helps.