Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't play home video Problem

• Please log in to reply

alaska

alaska

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My son has given me three home video's that he shot with his digital camera and none of my software programs can recognize them. They are called, for example... christmas.mov The programs that I have are Windows Media Player version 10, IrfanView 3.98 and Quicktime 6.3 All three programs seem to have a different "excuse" one says....cannot fine file cartwheel multiple 01 last found in "thinker" another says something about codecs.

Can anyone suggest software that will allow me to view these home ditigal video's? I'm running XP. Thank you very much. Oh, by the way, I can view digital video shot by my own camera in all three of the above programs with no problem. My son shot these with extra soundtrack, fade in-fade out, special effects, etc. I'm wondering if THATS why my programs can't open these video's?

Thanks VERY much. :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi alaska...

Try Real Player and see if the .mov file will play.

wannabe1

alaska

alaska

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for the tip on the RealPlayer software. I downloaded it and (while it still didn't open the . mov file) I really like the program. I'm at a loss to open these digital home video's. When I try to open the first one I get the following message: Movie file "still01" cannot be found, without file movie can't play properly. File previously found on "THINKER". My son created these video files on a MAC computer...could that by why they aren't opening for me? He also used a program that had a lot of special effects on it, could that have anything to do with the problem?
Thank you,
Alaska

howell414

howell414

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
try dpwnloading XP Codec Pack 1.3.0 from http://www.click-now.net/

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
mov files are apple quicktime movies...I am surprised they do not open with quicktime unless they are mpeg4.

You could download and install quicktime 7, or you could try quicktime alternative

http://www.free-code...Alternative.htm