Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSN messenger & Security Center

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
http://vaillant.t35.com/gtg001.png

This is a window that opened after my friend sent me a song.
This has been popping up several times now, and I'm trying to stop windows from doing that....
Paradoxally, even after disabling the windows security center service, this window still pops up.

How can I disable this useless security feature?

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
It's possible the song has a virus or something attached to it. To check it out and be on the safe side, do the following:

Jotti File Submission:
  • Please go to Jotti's malware scan
  • Copy and paste the following file path into the "File to upload & scan"box on the top of the page:
    • Place the file path of the song, example: C:\My Documents\My Music\song title (or whatever the file path is)
  • Click on the submit button
  • Please post the results in your next reply.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well this is not a virus issue, I know for a fact my friends computer is clean...

Besides, after I click OK, the file gets sent into electronic oblivion.

I want this feature DISABLED. I can manage my own security very well myself without the dogmatic windows settigns

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
You know for a fact his computer is clean? How?? :tazz: So there's no possible way he could have gotten infected? He doesn't download songs or files? Doesn't visit ANY suspicious sites ever?

The file goes into electronic oblivion? I'm not sure what you mean. :) The file is still on your computer. A Jotti scan doesn't remove it from your computer. It simply scans the file, and tells you if it's infected with anything.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I didnt touch your scan yet. But what I'm saying, is that after I get this window,from the security center right after I try to open it after its finished downloading, and click OK, the file dissapears from my view. Cant find it anywhere on the system.

Besides, I've got NOD32 installed and scan all attatchments. I figure my security is covered not too half bad, but I still need to actually HAVE the file to be able to send it to jotty

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
your friend sent you the song, but it's nowhere on the system? :tazz: That's not good. Did you search in NOD's quarantine for it? (I know, probably a long shot, but still...)

As far as trying to disable that security message...it's popping up for a reason. I'd think you'd rather find out why it's popping up, before you just go and stop it??

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
No, it's not in NOD's quarantine, and I didnt expect it to be.

This is windows security, not nod...

Windows security seemingly deletes the file, although it says its supposed to only "block" access to it.

It also seems to be a common occurance between our 2 computers, because on one occasion he couldnt open a file i sent him that was inside a zip... it was an executable,
and a few of the songs he sent me recently have been doing this too.

It's happened between me and another computer, but I scarcely share files other than with this particular friend

Edited by Vaillant, 16 February 2006 - 10:49 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Valliant,

It is questionable that this is even an acceptable topic, since we do not help people engage in pirating software or other music. I don't know if this is a local band, a personal file, or whatever..chalk one up for how tragically unhip I am

Kat's recommendation was sound given the information you provided

Generally I would be hesitant to help on this one, other than I believe that it is a general issue that others will encounter with any file, not just a music file

Windows security governs almost all attachments as dangerous, whether they are or not (and I suspect that Microsoft did this one to cave in to pressure from the record companies, though)

To enable downloading of attachments, you need to add a setting to a registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations

By default the key needs to be created by right clicking POLICIES, choosing NEW > KEY and calling it ASSOCIATIONS
Then, in the right pane, you need to right click, choose NEW > STRING VALUE, call it LowRiskFileTypes, then off click, then double click and add the value
.mp3;

(don't forget the semi-colan)

if you want to allow more file types, you would add them with a semicolan separating, like

.mp3;.zip;

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Ok :tazz: worked

Thank you both for time and understanding. It's greatly appreciated.