Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card

• Please log in to reply

John Cutler

John Cutler

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi,

after installing a Sapphire RADEON X800 GT (256 MB) all my games (battlefield 2, Starwars Battlefront 2 and Roller coaster tycoon 3 ) take at least 15 minutes to load if at all.

Please advise what I should do

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Whasts your specs.

John Cutler

John Cutler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Specs are attached

John Cutler

John Cutler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
try again

Attached Files

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you made sure to disable the onboard gfx card, you should also reinstall the .net framework from MS and the latest catalysy drivers. You dont have alot of ram or a particularly fast HD so load times are never going to be fantastic.

Also your CPU temps seem quite high 50C is what you want under load or close to it, you are getting those temps at idle your cpu i think will be throttling its speed down in games, try cleaning out the pc and making sure airflow is unobstructed.

John Cutler

John Cutler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I haveupdated catalyst and the .net framework.

The computer has been cleaned out, I think the temp runs high as well, explains why my mother board pack it in in after 5 months.

How do you disable the onboard gfx card?

Is it easy to install more ram?

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

I haveupdated catalyst and the .net framework.

The computer has been cleaned out, I think the temp runs high as well, explains why my mother board pack it in in after 5 months.

How do you disable the onboard gfx card?

Is it easy to install more ram?

Well 50C i'snt terrible for a pentium 4, but like warriorscot said, it's warm, and it may be throttling your cpu.

The only thing I disagree with warriorscot about is he says to disable the onboard gfx card. You have no onboard graphics card, so this could kind of be a little misleading. What you want to disable is the onboard graphics.

To do this, you need to go into the BIOS, I think you either hit delete or F2 before it boots into windows. Once you are in the BIOS, look through the options until you find something to the effect of "disable onboard graphics".

Ram is very easy to install. It's one of the easiest computer upgrades; no drivers, automatically detected, quick and easy installation.

heres some stuff about installing ram:
http://www.smartcomp...B5ACE530B660DF6

Did you download the latest drivers from the ATi website, or use the ones that came on the disc?

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
This could be why you are running a bit hot, if it is true: Chassis 82 rpm

There should be a significant amount of air movement out the back of the case.

Of course, you did uninstall the old video card?

Can you go back to the old video setup and see if the problem is still there?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts

The only thing I disagree with warriorscot about is he says to disable the onboard gfx card. You have no onboard graphics card, so this could kind of be a little misleading. What you want to disable is the onboard graphics.

=same thing card is easier to type than integrated graphics controller chip and most people understand card as a generic term as they arent idiots.

Temps can increase by as much as 20 degrees when under load especially with poor cooling as 50C idle would signify which is bad even for a P4 so i wouldnt be surprised if idle temp is above 60 which is within the temperature throttling range of intel chips.

Edited by warriorscot, 17 February 2006 - 06:55 PM.

John Cutler

John Cutler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thanks

Well there is nothing I can really do about the temp, I have moved it closer to a window which will help.

I will install more RAM (I assume from my specs I have SD ram?) should I double it?

Thanks for your help guys

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Thanks

Well there is nothing I can really do about the temp, I have moved it closer to a window which will help.

I will install more RAM (I assume from my specs I have SD ram?) should I double it?

Thanks for your help guys

Yes, If I were you, I would double it. 1GB of ram is fine for all of today's tasks. Okay, you motherboard supports DDR400 (PC3200). Are you looking for value you ram or peformance ram? I'm guessing you're wanting a gig of value DDR400... heres some good stuff.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145440

John Cutler

John Cutler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thanks for your help, I will double my RAM.

I have al lthe games working except for Battlefield 2 (but it seems I am not on my own in that regard)

If I already have 512 DDR so I need to buy another 512 or do I buy 1 gig?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well, another gig you can do in two new sticks of 512 one new stick of 512 to go with your existing ram or a single stick of 1Gb, and that depends on what perofrmance you want.

Most performance is from two 512s and having them running dual channel, and it should be quality ram, this costs more, low cost single stick of 512, and 1Gb single stick is cheap as well but might give you some better upgrade choice.

To check what ram go to the crucial website they will tell you, if you get it off them its guaranteed to work or money back but i prefer just to check compatibility with them and buy from someone else like corsair.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
John I know the problem is fixed, but if you want to try some drivers, try http://www.omegadrivers.net, my FPS have shot up by 20FPS! (9800XT 256MB)

John Cutler

John Cutler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thanks