Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2000 log in screen-help, please

• Please log in to reply

angie1010

angie1010

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have an old IBM laptop and yesterday I set it up wireless with my desktop. Everything was working great, got online etc but then I thought how nice it would be to also be able to access the desktop's printer. So I changed the workgroup name to the same workgroup name as my desktop. Then I got a message that said in order for the changes to take effect I had to restart the computer, which I did. After that I can no longer access windows 2000 professional. It asks for my password. I never set up one. I don't have one on the desktop, too. If I hit ok it asks for my user name, domain, password. I looked on the IBM website for help but it says if there are password problems then I need to get a new harddrive. I tried having the computer access the cd first but it won't let me do anything whether in safe mode or setup or anything. I hate to throw it out. Please, please, help me. Angie :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
where was this laptop connected to before?

Are you certain that you did not hit DOMAIN instead of workgroup, by accident?

What operating system xp or 2000

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Under workgroup, it just said workgroup, but since my desktop has under workgroup, mshome (properties, my computer) I changed the workgroup to mshome also on the laptop. I did not set up a password. I think you are right I probably did change it to a domain but don't know what to type into the lines where it asks for password etc.

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry forgot to say that it is 2000 professional NT.

RNB

RNB

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,
when you changed the workgroup did it ask you for user name & password? if yes type them in you laptop log-on screen, if no check the domain in your laptop log-on screen select the right 1 then enter.

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
It did not ask for a password or anything, just said it needed to do a restart for the changes to take effect (the change of workgroup). When I try to get back into Windows the only choice I have is Adminstrator and since I never used or had a password before I can't log on even if I click just ok. Also there are no other choices, if I clear Adminstrator from the top line then it's blank. Am I just doomed? Angie

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Do you see a box that says Log On to?

If not, do you see a button that says OPTIONS?

Click it and choose something (this computer)

and was this ever a work computer?

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Do you see a box that says Log On to?

If not, do you see a button that says OPTIONS?

Click it and choose something (this computer)

and was this ever a work computer?

The only option is for internet connection, nothing else. It was never a work computer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Posted Image

does it look like this?

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted Image

does it look like this?

No, there are only two boxes not three. This is exactly what comes up, no matter what I try:
system could not log you on. make sure your username and domain are correct then type your password again.

I don't have a username, don't know what domain it is, and never had a password. I really am appreciating your help. So far have always been able to solve any computer problems I have but this one has me stumped.
Angie

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You need to press the OPTION button to get the third box

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

You need to press the OPTION button to get the third box

The only thing I get when I press on options is a tiny square box and next to it it says Log on using dial-up connection.

RNB

RNB

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
seems you have an admin user account in your laptop. If you have typed several times with wrong password then it may have disabled the account.

you dont remember any account in your laptop?

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

seems you have an admin user account in your laptop. If you have typed several times with wrong password then it may have disabled the account.

you dont remember any account in your laptop?

This is an old laptop that my aunt had. At the time she had it her nephew had put in an administrator's password, which, when it was given to me I changed to no password. I do have his old password and tried that several times but it keeps asking for the domain. I used that computer many times and after changing into to no password, I never had to log on it just went to the screen with all the icons automatically. This problem only arose after I changed the workgroup. Since I can't get into anything I can't even do a restore. Angie

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wow, this is the wierdest one I have run into, since, well, yesterday...

Do you have a windows 2000 CD?

When rebooting and trying safe mode, was command line an option?

How are you wirelessly connecting? A pcmia slot device? internal wireless?

Can you remove/disable this device?