Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2000 log in screen-help, please

• Please log in to reply

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

wow, this is the wierdest one I have run into, since, well, yesterday...

Do you have a windows 2000 CD?

When rebooting and trying safe mode, was command line an option?

How are you wirelessly connecting? A pcmia slot device? internal wireless?

Can you remove/disable this device?

I don't get it either. From all the research I have done something should have worked. I did try safe mode, all of them and a command line never came up. If it would have there were a few things that I had been told to do but I can't get the command line or anything no matter what I do. I have, at this moment, disconnected the wireless device, a belkin 802 connected through usb. I tried everything with it connected and have tried everything with the belkin wireless not connected, nothing. Sadly, my aunt, who hates having things laying around threw the cd away the first week her nephew got her the computer. I even went to a computer help website called computer hope and tried something they had suggested, make a cd and have the computer first go to the cdrom drive, which it will not do. I have a feeling this is a hopeless case. Angie

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
got a link for that site?

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

got a link for that site?

http://www.computerhope.com/

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I meant the instructions...i found computerhope, but do not know what instructions you were following

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I meant the instructions...i found computerhope, but do not know what instructions you were following

This was not the website I got the instructions, they sent me to this page:
http://home.eunet.no...rdahl/ntpasswd/

At that time I thought maybe if I did that I could somehow get back into windows but since I can't access my cd rom I couldn't use their program.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I see...that would allow you to change your local administrator account password, but if I read you right, there is no local account (functioning, anyway)

in the picture from above, the LOG ON TO:

box is either blank, or dialup networking.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
a colleague (thanks wannabe1) suggests

http://help.lockergn...php/t34972.html

specifically, Registry Corruption in Windows 2000 section

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I see...that would allow you to change your local administrator account password, but if I read you right, there is no local account (functioning, anyway)

in the picture from above, the LOG ON TO:

box is either blank, or dialup networking.

No there is no account set up, no user password set up, no user name. I couldn't even access the command prompt or the cd rom drive. No matter what I do I wind up at the login screen. There is no third line except, when I go to options, a tiny box with dialup after it. I can click in the box but, of course, nothing happens. If I could access the command prompt maybe then there would be some hope. I just don't get it how could I access windows before I changed the workgroup but not after. Had absolutely no problem before. I am totally frustrated. Angie

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

a colleague (thanks wannabe1) suggests

http://help.lockergn...php/t34972.html

specifically, Registry Corruption in Windows 2000 section

I can't even access the registry, no command prompt.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi angie1010...

Read the post by Claymore...you need not access the registry for this, you will boot directly to a boot floppy set. If you follow the instruction posted there, the last disk will have Win2000 registry repair files on it. Note that this does not always work, but I have had some success with the procedure on 2000 systems that won't start properly.

wannabe1

Advertisements

Dr. Jae

Dr. Jae

• Pip
  • 3 posts
If its the Administrator password you are looking for i have a floppy disk a friend in gemany sent to me,.

Apparently if you turn the computer on with this disk in the drive it will get the passwords off of the computer for you to take to a working machine and view the passwords in internet explorer

would this solve your problem?

Dr. Jae

Edited by Dr. Jae, 17 February 2006 - 01:34 PM.

killfc

killfc

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

There is a live version of linux which can change windows based passwords called austrami (or similar). If you are resonably computer savy then you can download and use that to modify the password (without knowing what it is set to now) when the computer starts and you press F8 to get your safe mode options what happens when you select safe mode with command prompt!?

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi,

There is a live version of linux which can change windows based passwords called austrami (or similar). If you are resonably computer savy then you can download and use that to modify the password (without knowing what it is set to now) when the computer starts and you press F8 to get your safe mode options what happens when you select safe mode with command prompt!?

When I go into safe mode or safe mode with command prompt I still go to the login screen. No command prompt comes up. I couldn't even access a floppy drive. There is none. I guess I will have to buy an external floppy drive and see if I can do anything with that. Angie

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

If its the Administrator password you are looking for i have a floppy disk a friend in gemany sent to me,.

Apparently if you turn the computer on with this disk in the drive it will get the passwords off of the computer for you to take to a working machine and view the passwords in internet explorer

would this solve your problem?

Dr. Jae

It might, because it keeps asking for a password but since I have put none in there I don't even know why it would ask for a password. Right now I am so frustrated and would appreciate any help. Angie

angie1010

angie1010

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi,

Where would I get that? Nope, no command prompt ever comes up. Have tried that several times but it always returns me to the log in password screen. If worse comes to worse I am just going to get a new hard drive and see if I can buy an old Windows 2000 software somewhere and see if I can do that. Have never done this before so it should be an interesting learing experience. I don't even know if it would be worth it to put some money into an older laptop but it might just be good just for the experience. Have always enjoyed fixing computer problems at the small school that I worked for as a teacher but this one has me totally stumped. Angie