Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram upgrade installed but not recognized dell insiron 8200

• Please log in to reply

vinnniethebarber

vinnniethebarber

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi-
I have a dell dimensions 8200 laptop wich came with 256mb of ram 128 (each side)I got 512 mb and added that to the left port, everyhting was great it registered 640mb.So last week i got 512mb more to max it out at 1gb. I swithched the 512 with the other 128 mb on the right port and now my pc only registers 512mb on the left port,so I tried putting the 128mb back in to see if it was bad ram possibly and now it will not register the 128mb either only 512 mb from the left port.Is there a setting I need to change or something any help at all would be greatly appreciated....

Advertisements

killfc

killfc

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
sounds like the 2nd ram slot has blown, I've never heard of any settings that activate or deactivate ram slots. Dont suppose you installed the ram whilst the system was still on did you. thats a normal reason for exploding ram slots.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also..putting the wrong sized ram would do it...or wedging it in there backwards

vinnniethebarber

vinnniethebarber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hey
no I installed it with the machine off.I was hoping not to hear that the slot is blown but i figured there aren't any settings that that's what the problem was. Do you know the price to replace it or is that even possible or worth it?
Thanks for your help

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I'm not a fan of Dell so don't knows much about models but as I put dimension 8200 in search it come up a DESK TOP system ?????.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Computer's parts are sensitive but not that sensitive. Be positive too!!!
You sound like you confident in what you doing. So chance you blown some thing up are mall.
-Some time you have two different RAM in could confuse the machine a bit, in this case you can reset it by pull the BIOS battery out and put it back in to reset.
-some time there is a dirt get into the slot... in this case blow to clean the slot and put every thing back in.
-MOSTOF THE TIMEs people did not put the ram in properly, I mean alot, In this case, you need to take the ram out and put it back in in your most calmly mode.
Remember, to some body never do it, it could be sooooo sensitive but if you know what you're doing then it is not that bad. personally, I've never blow any thing that way.
good luck.

Edited by mcpscomp, 18 February 2006 - 07:27 PM.

vinnniethebarber

vinnniethebarber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks alot I'll try reseting the bios battery once I figure out how to do that and see If that helps ....I appreciate your input... Oh yeah I mistyped the model it's an Inspiron 8200.. thank you!