Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What's this error mean?

• Please log in to reply

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Here we got 2 computers using one internet connection. I'v no idea how its setup i just know we use a netgear router.
When one of the computers is using the internet and the other one then begins to use it a small error bubble occurs. The error bubble is attached. Everything runs ok but im sure this cant be normal. Anyone know why this error occurs?

oh and also if anyone knows;

We used to need to use a password through the aol browser before we could use anything internet related including IE and since the introduction of the router it just lets internet explorer run straight up. As a secondary thing does anyone know how this happened?

Attached Thumbnails

• error.jpg

Edited by StudentBusiness12, 17 February 2006 - 12:30 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
on all computers on the network do
start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all > "c:\ipconfig1.txt"

change the 1 to 2 for the second computer and so on

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
darn...pressed that button too fast

We used to need to use a password through the aol browser before we could use anything internet related including IE and since the introduction of the router it just lets internet explorer run straight up. As a secondary thing does anyone know how this happened?

i would assume....that when the router was set up...someone entered in y our aol username and password in the router...which means it's always logged into the account...which means you're always logged into th e account

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
thanks, ill do that now.

Dr. Jae

Dr. Jae

• Pip
  • 3 posts
StudentBusiness12, You will have to change the networking settings so the computers can automatically get their IPs from your router. This should fix your issue.

Step 1 - Log on to the computer by using the Administrator account.

Step 2 – Click 'Start'>'Control Panel'

Step 3 - Right-click the local area connection that you want, and then click Properties. The Local Area Network Connection Properties dialog box opens.

Step 4 - In the Components checked are used by this connection box, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties. The Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box appears.

Step 5 - Click Obtain an IP address automatically.

Step 6 - Click Obtain DNS server address automatically if you do not want to specify the IP address of the Domain Name System (DNS) server.

Step 7 – Click OK. In the 'Local Area Connection Proporties' click OK too.

Now restart and you should be good.. Do this on both of the machines.

The reason you don't have to run the Username and Password program on your computer is because the router handles the logging in and out for you. Also it is more than likely your router will also handle your firewall needs.

I hope this helped you out. Please post the results.

Dr. Jae

Edited by Dr. Jae, 17 February 2006 - 01:17 PM.

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
thanks dr. jae. If it doesnt do it for a while i know its fixed. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
also..i meant to have you attatch those text files to your next post...what is wrong with me today?