Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MSN Messenger Pop Up Bug?

• Please log in to reply

sylamore

sylamore

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Need some help.....I got a pop-up message over msn messenger that said "Is this you?" then it provided a link to click on that indicated something about a profile I had made on msn.....which I do not have. Since this message came from a friend, stupid me, I clicked the link. I realized that whatever this thing was it sent the same message (with minor changes) out to everyone on my msn list so now they are having problems. I immediatly knew I had goofed.....I ran Spybot and it found 2 folders with titles to do with msn, one contained about 6 files and the other one had about 61 files. I deleted them with spybot. I figured ok, problem solved....now not too sure about it. Can you please tell me what exactly this bug is and how to rid my system of it? Thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Wuz up sylamore, if you open Spybot - Search And Destroy and goto "Recovery" could you please give the name of the Spyware. If you say Spybot cleared the problem then, there should be no problem.

Cool :tazz:

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .
That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.
If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.
======
underclassmen such as spike_hacker_inc and myself are not autorized to give malware advice.

Edited by Mile Runner, 17 February 2006 - 03:36 PM.

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Hiya Spike_Hacker.....the name I found in Recovery was FakeMSN8Beta. Even tho spybot detected it and deleted it, I just want to make VERY sure it is gone and gone for good. I have read that some people are having the same problems when they reboot so I don't want to shut my pc down until I know for SURE it is gone. Geeks has never let me down. :tazz: And thank you!
Also Mile Runner, I will do as you say as well, thanks :)

Edited by sylamore, 17 February 2006 - 04:02 PM.

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I did what you said Mile Runner.......this lil' bug has been detected by everything but I read that it doesn't matter, that once you reboot, it will return.....PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tazz:

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
please POST in the malware forum, so a Malware tech can help you.

Edited by Mile Runner, 17 February 2006 - 06:25 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
like mile runner said,
Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

we cannot help you any more here, if you are seeking additional help you need to follow the advice. Don't just read things there, actually post there and you will get some one on one help!
Thanx
James

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Will do, thanks! :tazz: