Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't "unmount iPod"

• Please log in to reply

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I just downloaded the newest ipod software, and installed it, and now I can't unmount my iPod.
I don't even know what mounting is. I googled it, and I'm still lost.
Any help?
ps, Can I unhook my ipod safely even if it says "don't disconnect"?
thanks,
aerodude

Advertisements

daveharler

daveharler

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Found this on a site via...Google! Hope this helps!

When running the iPod Software Updater program, the Updater progresses to just about the end, then I receive a ‘Can’t Unmount iPod Error.’ What should I do?

10.13.03 | iPod Windows | tell-a-friend
This is usually caused by some other program accessing the iPod drive. You can try to remedy it by shutting down any programs that could be accessing the iPod drive such as anti-virus programs. But sometimes even that won’t do it.

However, there is still hope. When presented with the ‘Can’t Unmount iPod’ error, it is OK to disconnect the iPod from the computer. The iPod will then flash an icon indicating that you should connect the iPod to a FireWire plug. Make sure that when you plug it back in, the connection you connect it to supplies power to the iPod as it needs external power to finish the Restore/Update process. A progress bar will appear on the iPod and when done the Updater program will indicate that the Restore has been successful.

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
didn't work. still does it.

daveharler

daveharler

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I had an iPod and I used to disconnect it midway through the 'Do Not Disconnect" notification. Never did mine any harm!

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
me neither...
untill just this last time

the_gh0st

the_gh0st

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Try disconnecting through windows-- My Computer > Removable Storage Devices > iPod > Right-click, choose 'Eject'

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
you can unplug it if it says do not diconnect i always do. i jus wouldnt unplug it if youre uploading music/videos