Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox stopped loading pages

• Please log in to reply

prh1217

prh1217

• Pip
  • 8 posts
[font=Arial][size=7][size=4]
About a week ago I started having trouble with the latest firefox version not loading web pages. I switched to IE 6 and had the same problem. I looked through geekstogo.com browser forum for help. I tried several things suggested in various posts but none have helped. I regularly run virus scans with pc-cillin and spyware scans with ad-aware se and spybot s&d. Several posts suggested doing the scans in safe mode so I did. I couldn't get my virus scanner to work in safe mode but the other two worked with no problem. All I ever came up with is a couple of tracking cookies with low risk rattings. I also did a panda online virus scan but that turned up nothing. I tried the avant browser and it acted the same as the other two browsers. One of the browser forum posts suggested ways to tweak firefox so I tried those with no improvement. First I tried manual tweaks with no improvement. Second I installed firetune for firefox with no improvement. Third I tried a firefox extension fasterfox but that didn't help either. Another post suggested downloading and installing trojan remover. I did that and quick and in-depth scans have tirned up nothing.

I went back to a system restore point 3 days prior to the start of this problem. It didn't help so I went back another 4 days with the same results. I am back to the most recent restore point.

I have uninstalled avant since it didn't work either. I uninstalled the currrent version of firefox with the idea of reinstalling an earlier version. Before doing that, I checked the operation of IE6 and it is the same so I decided to post in this forum first.

I have roadrunner cable internet service. I have talked to them and they say it has to be my computer. I have done several bandwidth speed tests. They have all produced the same results. It will take several tries to get the speed test page to load. Once the pages load, I run the tests. All have been between 3.6 Mbps and 4.2 Mpbs.

I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hello and welcome, to g's2go.

I know you said you have already ran Spybot S&D and AdAware, but just to be sure, please make sure you have the latest versions here: Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware.

Also please be sure you follow the instructions and settings on this website to run a scan with both of these softwares.

cheers...xxx1

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
no, if panda didn't show anything then malware isn't the case. prh1217 do you know if you have firefox version 1.5? If not please uninstall firefox and then click on the following URL to get an updated version of firefox.
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
thanx
James

prh1217

prh1217

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi xxx1,

I reran both scans as suggested and nothing turned up.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

no, if panda didn't show anything then malware isn't the case. prh1217 do you know if you have firefox version 1.5? If not please uninstall firefox and then click on the following URL to get an updated version of firefox.
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
thanx
James

please read this
thanx
James

prh1217

prh1217

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi james_8970,

I have been using v 1.5 since it came out and also added the security update as soon as it came out. I was using this upgrade for about a week before I had a problem.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
this is for all pages and only fire fox? If this is the case i would try uninstlling fire fox then reinstalling it. Might as well give it a try. Also you could try deleating all your temp files and cookies, if you don't know how to do this i'll give furthur instructions on my next post(after you tell me though)
Thanx
James

prh1217

prh1217

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
james_8970

I reinstalled firefox v. 1.5 and have deleted all cookies and temp files with no improvement in operation. Both IE and firefox are exibiting the same behavior simultaniously. All other programs are operating normally along with all hardware.

Thanks
Phil

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ok when you are saying that you are having problems with them what is happening. Are you getting time outs? 404 errors?
thanx
James

prh1217

prh1217

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
James,

I normally use firefox for everything except windows update. About a week ago it just stopped working normally. Pages that usually load immediately take several minutes or don't load at all. It took me a couple of hours to reg. with geekstogo and post my first message to give an example. At the same time I started to experience this problem with firefox, I switched to IE to see if it worked and it was exibiting the same behaviour as firefox. Previously it had always worked normally for windows update. I installed avant browser because I saw some good comments in the browser forum while looking for help. It exhibits the same behaviour as the other two browsers.

Thanks,
Phil

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
woops i thought you where someone else, have you ever visted the malwre forum? sry shoould have asked this earlier.
thanx
James

prh1217

prh1217

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
James,

I did look through the malware forum and do many of the things they have everyone with a problem do and there is no indication of malware or viruses on my machine. You said in an earlier post to me that if panda online scan didn't show anything that malware is not the problem. I did not post in that forum because there is no indication of spyware/malware from what I have been able to determine. I am wondering if, since only browsers on my machine are affected, if there is an area of windows that is messed up? Everything but my browsers works as it always has.

Thanks
Phil

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ya sry i dealing two people with similar issues and i'm getting them mixed up sry about that. Anyways i pretty well have run out of options. Going to do a bit of reasearch and c what i can dig up.
thanx
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hhhhmmmm i'm stumped do you know if your computer is sending any information out very fast or getting anything else back very fast? Is your connection through a router by any chance?
thanx
James

prh1217

prh1217

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi James,

I'm not sure how I would know if I am sending or receiving fast but the bytes I have receiced since I logged on this time is 6.2 mil and sent 1.2 mil if that means anything. My connection is through a router since I have the computer and two voip lines hooked to my cable connection.

Thanks,
Phil