Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Shutting Down whenever i start it

• Please log in to reply

rck415

rck415

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Recently my computer has been shutting down when ever I play a game like Counter-strike, and when it shuts down, and I start it back up it shuts down in the middle of the loading screen where it says Windows Xp. I don't know whats going on and i'm thinking its a virus or so. After a couple trys of turning my computer on and off it goes back to normal but when I start Counter-strike and play a couple rounds it just shuts down.

Please Help. Thank You

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi rck415!

Seems to me like your computer is overheating.

Download Speedfan, using the link in my signature (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the temperatures it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Check the temperatures when you first turn on your computer, and after you are able to get it to turn on after it shut downs while playing the game.

Fenor

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFanExample.JPG

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,
1. Right click on my computer
2. Left click on properties
3. Goto advanced tab
4. Click on settings for startup and recovery
5. Uncheck the option automatic restart on system failure and apply the settings.
6. Check if the system is getting restarted or not and let me know

tstubbs457

tstubbs457

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
or-- you might check:
control panel< services < {find the software that is causing problems in the list}
and check to see if it is set to auto-restart if it hangs up--

but , i am sure fenor is more knowledgable here--
this is something that was causing a problem for me a while back

peace,

-t.

rck415

rck415

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Posted Image

thats the current one right now

Edited by rck415, 17 February 2006 - 08:31 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I believe it's your processor that is overheating, but lets confirm this... What video card do you have?

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 17 February 2006 - 08:33 PM.

rck415

rck415

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
the video card i have is nvidia geforce fx5900

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please go into the Event Viewer and see what errors occurred at the time your computer restarts.

Click START-->RUN and type EVENTVWR.MSC and hit ENTER.

Look under SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS for items with RED X's that happened at the SAME time as your problem...List them here.

Fenor

rck415

rck415

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
the system part didnt have any errors at all, all the problems were in applications, and all the red x's were either security center, application errors, and application hang

rck415

rck415

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
the system part didnt have any errors at all, all the problems were in applications, and all the red x's were either security center, application errors, and application hang

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
there are approximately 1,876 different application errors. Please help us to help you by giving us as much information as possible

Double click the error. Click the COPY button, paste the information here...please do not make us guess