Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with ex-network computer

• Please log in to reply

criticman

criticman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'm currently using an ex-network computer. Every time I try to update it, put in a new piece of hardware (a video card, in this instance, because the one it came with was meager), or even CHANGE THE TIME, I get flags saying I "do not have the proper privilege level" to make changes. All the passwords have been cleared. There is only one sign-on, MINE, as administrator. I gave it a password. It accepted it, but nothing else changed.
I've been into the BIOS looking for an out.
The security settings are blank. I added my own password, as a supervisor. It pronounced "full access" in the BIOS. This didn't play through to my Windows problem however.
Is there a way to correct this so I can do what I need to do?

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
If this computer was part of a domain (ex-network), then you won't be able to make any significant changes to it unless it is reattached to the network from where it came and then removed from the domain.

Of course, a reinstall of the operating system would work too.

What OS is this?

:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Have you disjoined from the domain?

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose NETWORK IDENTIFICATION

Workgroup, or domain?

Before changing it, make certain that you have a local administrator account and password for that.

criticman

criticman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks guys. Inasmuch as I needed to add hardware and update Windows 2000 to SP4 (wouldn't let me do that either) I have just bit the bullet and wiped the drive, reinstalled 2000 and am now piecing everything back together without aggravating restrictions. It was a pain, but what can I say, had to be done.