Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP hangs at splash screen

• Please log in to reply

Bob Simons

Bob Simons

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 8100 running Win XP Pro. There have been no new software or hardware additions. Everything was fine this morning when I shut down. Later in the day on boot up the Windows XP Pro splash screen displayed but boot up did not continue and all hard drive activity stopped.

I am able to boot to Safe Mode.

I tried booting from the Win XP Setup CD but that started loading drivers and files, then when it said "Windows is Starting" just stopped exactly as it did during a normal start -- No progress and no HD activity.

I then swapped the HD for an older one with Windows ME installed. The Win ME splash screen displayed and there was HD activity. Then the splash screen changed to a blank screen with an hourglass cursor, the HD activity stopped, and nothing else happened.

I'm assuming some type of hardware problem at this point, so unplugged and reinstalled all cables. I reseated all cards. I even replaced the HD data cable. None of which helped.

Do you have any idea what could be "broken" that doesn't allow a normal startup but does allow a Safe Mode start?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
First thing that pops to mind is your video card. If you have a video card in an agp/pci slot, I suggest you remove it and connect your monitor to the onboard video port (if available). If you don't have onboard video on your motherboard, then i suggest you borrow a video card from another computer and see if you're computer will boot into normal mode.

Fenor

Bob Simons

Bob Simons

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks. There's no onboard video, so I'll have to scrape up another AGP video card. That'll have to wait until tomorrow though. I'll make the swap and get back with the results.

Bob Simons

Bob Simons

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK> Here's what I did so far...

I removed the AGP video card and installed a PCI video card. That didn't help. I then removed the PCI card and found a known good AGP card in another PC and installed it. No change. The problem still persists.

Any suggestions on where to look next?

Thanks!

Bob Simons

Bob Simons

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've done some more research. I enabled BootLog and found that the last loaded driver was AGP440.sys. Found some info on that at Mirosoft.com and followed instructions there to boot from Windows XP CD and run Recovery and to diable AGP440. I did that and I was able to boot nromally, but it's now using a default video driver and I can't change refresh rates or utilize the Nvidia card features at all.

Now that AGP440.sys is disabled, how do I get my video card working again?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
update your videocard driveers and chipset drivers then reverse the above (enable agp440.sys)

Bob Simons

Bob Simons

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I couldn't find any updated chipset drivers and I downloaded the latest video drivers but I wasn't able to install them. According to Microsoft disabling AGP440 also disabled all video cards and Windows XP resorted to a default VGA mode. When the drivers attempted to install I got an error message that there was no compatible card installed and the installation closed without doing anything.

I revisited the Recovery Console and re-enabled AGP440 and voila, it rebooted normally, though still with the VGA display mode. I then installed the new video drivers and rebooted. Everything is back to normal again. I just wish I knew why this little glitch happened to begin with.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Edited by Bob Simons, 18 February 2006 - 06:27 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
me too