Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Switch-a-roo

• Please log in to reply

craigjohnson

craigjohnson

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a RAM question. I just got a new computer that is lacking in the RAM. I have an older computer that has a fairly new piece of 128 RAM that isn't getting used. Can I just open up my new computer's guts and put the new piece in? Any help would be appreciated! <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Unfortunately there are many types of RAM. Not only in size and number of pins, but also speed. So a RAM chip may fit into a slot, but be too slow and cause instability or even failure to boot.

If they're PC from any major mfg you can probably identify the RAM using Crucial's memory finder:
http://www.crucial.com

When you've found the memory required for each system, compare them to see if they'll work. Or, reply to this post and we'll help you.

craigjohnson

craigjohnson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well... I went to that site and instead of switching to a mere 128, I think I will go for the big guns...512! I have some questions. As a disclaimer, I am computer challenged :D ...ANYWAYI shopped online and found that Crucial's prices seemed to be rather expensive. Is it safe to buy a piece of RAM from a place like "valueRAM"? How do I compare what I found online at Crucial to what is offered in other places? Do I just need to look at the 184-pin DIMM module and the "parity or non-parity"? <_< What does the "PC3200 CL=3" and the "PC2700 CL=2.5" mean? :D Thanks for your help, you are the coolest.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

PC3200 CL=3" and the "PC2700 CL=2.5

Is the speed the memory operates at. It's okay to install faster memory than your system requires, but not slower. (PC3200 is faster than PC2700. )

The CL is the latency. Get's a little tricky here, but generally the lower the latency the faster the memory. This can make quite a difference, especially with AMD systems.

Crucial has a good price, on very good quality memory. There are cheaper alternatives, but just search the forums and you'll see how many problems are cause by memory errors. We usually just recommend that you purchase a name brand memory (Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, Mushkin...) Stay away from the generic, and third party brands. <_<

craigjohnson

craigjohnson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank-you for your help and input. You are the best! :D Now all I have to do is try to talk the wife into a RAM upgrade <_< Thanks again!