Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Need Help Upgrading Bios

• Please log in to reply

LATIN

LATIN

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Ok here my problem i downloaded the nessesary bios for El Paso Motherboard and ive tried following the readme.txt but when i try to reboot a get a messege error to click any botton and i do and give me the same messege so i have to take out the disk and then it loads windows xp pro again this is what the readme.txt says:

Installation

Prepare Your Computer

Before updating your computer's BIOS, enter the current BIOS Setup Utility, and then write down each of the current settings, in the event that this information is needed again after the upgrade.

Note: The following instructions may vary dependent upon the operating system currently loaded on the computer.

Copy the Files

1. After you have downloaded and double-clicked the BIOS update file (7513331.exe), the needed files self-extract and copy into the C:\Cabs\7513331 folder on the hard drive.

2. On your screen, double-click the My Computer icon. Alternatively, from the Start menu, click My Computer.

3. In the My Computer window, double-click the C: icon.

4. In the C:\ window, double-click the Cabs folder. If you do not see any files, click View the entire contents of the drive option.

5. In the C:\Cabs window, double-click the 7513331 folder.

6. In the C:\Cabs\7513331 window, from the Edit menu, click Select All.

7. From the Edit menu, click Copy.

8. Quit all programs and close all windows.

9. Place a blank, IBM formatted floppy disk in the floppy disk drive.

10. On your screen, double-click the My Computer icon.

11. In the My Computer window, double-click the A: icon.

12. In the A:\ window, from the Edit menu, click Paste. The files are copied to the floppy disk.

Performing the Update

1. Restart the computer with the disk in the floppy disk drive.

2. An Intel Flash Memory update utility screen appears. Press the ENTER key.

3. On the Main Menu screen, Update Flash memory area from a file is selected. Press ENTER.

4. On the Flash area screen, Update System BIOS is selected. Press ENTER.

5. On the Enter Path\Filename screen, press the DOWN ARROW key once to select P07-0013.BIO, and then press ENTER.

6. On the Confirm BIOS version information screen, select To continue with programming, and then press ENTER.

7. A "BIOS update is now in progress don't press any key or turn off the system at this time" message appears.

8. After the update is complete, eject the floppy disk, and then press ENTER. The computer restarts.

Note: If the computer does not automatically restart, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE.

9. While restarting, a "BIOS configuration" message may appear. If so, press the F1 key to enter the BIOS Setup Utility.

10. In the BIOS Setup Utility, press the F10 key, and then press ENTER to save and exit.

and ive done that but i have a feeling im doing something wrong

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
LATIN...

If you followed those instructions carefully, and did every step, you should be ok.

Let's see if your BIOS has updated. Look at the version you downloaded or post me a link to the download so I can see what version you tried to install.

Then download Everest Home Edition, install it, run it, and save a report. Attach (not post) the report here for me and I'll compare what's on the machine to what you downloaded. If they match...there ya go.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 February 2006 - 01:28 AM.

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
heres the link http://support.gatew...2&uid=114429621 and the report and thank you for the help wannabe1

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure, LATIN. :)

Unfortunately, the BIOS did not update. However, there is a newer BIOS version available on the Intel site specifically for your motherboard (both models). It's self extracting and installs from within Windows. This version should be much easier to install.

BIOS Update from Intel

As always, read the installation instructions on the download page. When the update completes, I can check this again if you'll attach a fresh report... :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 February 2006 - 11:26 AM.

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
here the fresh copy of the report but i keep getting when it checks for if its updates the bios unsusesfull read the read me file only thing i can think it is is the part where it says

4. Close all other applications (REQUIRED).
Note: This is a required step. Also, if you use
Windows XP, Windows 2000 Professional, or Windows
NT, you must temporarily disable Active Desktop
before performing a BIOS update
. This prevents a
possible loss of some Active Desktop data.
Remember that your system will be rebooted at the last
Express BIOS Update window

where do i go to disable active desktop??

Attached Files

Edited by LATIN, 18 February 2006 - 02:30 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
To disable Active Desktop...

Right click on an open area of the desktop and select "Properties". Click on the "Desktop" tab and then the "Customize Desktop" button. Click on the "Web" tab in the Desktop Items window and uncheck all checkboxes. (Remember which ones are checked so you can reset them the way they were).

wannabe1

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
after i click on the install and it reboots it does the check and says unsusefull install of the bios check the read me file

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
can some one help me please and much apreaciated wanabe1 for your help so far im upgrading ma bios so i can install a secound hard drive

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

says unsusefull install of the bios check the read me file

What does that mean?

Did the bios update run, yes or no?

If so, he said to post another report and he would check to see if the bios updated

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
gerryf yes it did run but at the end a popup comes out saying That Express Bios Update was unsuccessfull. Your System's bios has not been
updated.restart the application and use the view readme button for troubleshooting your bios update and i did post another report if you look at post #5

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, something is not right here. First, I would junk the intel bios wannabe pointed you at. Everest is either mis-reporting something or you didn't tell us something about this system---did you update the motherboard?

Your model number (E3600) does not match your serial number (PERFORMANCE 1500 CS)

What machine do you have?

Also, why do you think something went wrong? What exactly occured to make you think this

Finally, why do you want to update your bios?

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
no i havent updated the motherboard its the original one since i got this pc 5 years ago does it matter that it was using windows me when i got it?? and to the question of why im trying to upgrade ma bios is that im installing a new 160 HD and was reading the install information and said you might need to update your bios so thats when i tried going to gateway support and downloaded the bios from there and followed the intructions i put the bios onto the floppy disk how the intructions said then closed the windows turned off any running applications then rebooted and when i reboot i get Non-System disk or disk error replace and strike anykey when ready i keep pressing and gives the same messege over and over till i remove the floppy and it boots up windows. Only thing that is diffrent in the pc is i added a ethernet card for the dsl and add 3 new stciks of ram.

Edited by LATIN, 22 February 2006 - 11:14 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

reading the install information and said you might need to update your bios so thats when i tried going to gateway

Perhaps you won't even need the BIOS update. Have you tried installing without it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that non-system disk error meant your floppy was bad.....

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
to the answer to wanabe1 no i havent but i guess i sould try and see if it will take the install of the HD.

gerryf its is a brand new floopy unless i have to do something else for it to read properlly ?? thank you both for all this help it is much apreciated