Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

running a bootable disc from an external usb DVD-rom

• Please log in to reply

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
for a while now ive been xonsidering using some form of linux operating system on my computer, dont know much about linux but weve been using a linux type OS for university so i figured i might as well use one at home.

anyway i was at the local newsagent and picked p a linux magazine for 12.95 it came with the linux SUSE 10.0, now i knew it was on dvd and ihave a dvd burner so i fugred i wouldnt have any problem installing this, unfortunately im an idiot, i didnt realize that the dvd was bootable and i cannot install it from windows, this matters because my dvd burner is an external burner connected to my computers via usb. so far i have found no way to boot from a usb and doubt that one exists, though im hoping someone might know of an easy non complicated way of doing this, or if someone could recommend some kind of freeware linux programs that can either fit onto a regular 700,mb cd or can be installed on windows and is simple enough for a moron such as myself to use.

cheers,
ben

Edited by BTPH, 17 February 2006 - 11:02 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If you want a small version, there are several that can be booted from a CD and completely run from the CD, such as Knoppix, DSL OS and others.

I have not recently checked, but typically Linux versions could be downloaded in either the DVD iso or a series of CDs. You might check the website of the version you want to use and see if they have the ability to let you download the isos, which you can then burn them.

I forget the name of the site, but there was a place which offered CDs already burned for a very low cost (shipping and minimal labor cost).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it is possible to boot to a usb device...but only if your BIOS and motherboard support such a task...check your bios setup for something that says "usb booting" or something to that effect...and enable it..if you don't find such a thing...you could try updating your bios...though this doesn't ensure that you will be able to boot from a usb device