Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

i deleted win32 and now explorer cannot load at all

• Please log in to reply

pleaseohplease

pleaseohplease

• Pip
  • 3 posts
after both adaware and avg repeatedly reported win32 as a virus, i finally deleted it with avg. now i cant use explorer or internet explorer at all. i am accessing this site from the task manager, run -> opera. i tried to restore win32 with avg, didnt do anything. i also stupidly had system restore turned off at the time. i dont know what to do :tazz:

any help would be much appreciated

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello pleaseohplease...

If you have your installation CD...Run System File Check.

Open Task Manager and click on the "New Task" button. In the "Open" box, type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (Again...note the space) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Let us know how it goes...

wannabe1

pleaseohplease

pleaseohplease

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
unfortunately i have no such disks! and if i do, i have no idea where i'd find them...i've already been looking all over...

any other suggestions? and thanks for the quick reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try running the chkdsk /r (Note the space before /r) using Task Manager > New Task

Let us know...

wannabe1

pleaseohplease

pleaseohplease

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i tried this but it didnt help any :tazz: any other advice?

EDIT: i forgot to mention that when i try to boot it up in safe mode, the taskbar etc do appear. however i dont know what to do at that point. also, the resolution is too big for the screen, so i can only access some things...for example, when i turn on the computer, the user accounts are there, but i can only get to the top 2 because the bottom two are below where the screen would be. same for going right to left sometimes. i dont know what to make of that but i thought i'd mention it.

Edited by pleaseohplease, 18 February 2006 - 04:46 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD to run a file check, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an XP SP1 CD

If you right click the desktop, click properties then settings to adjust the screen, click apply