Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brands of ram

• Please log in to reply

babar

babar

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi I am in the market for new ram. My quetsion is does brand really matter?
I am not a tech and not into over clocking etc, I game a little Age of mythology age of empires that sort of thing.

Kingston, Buffalo, Samsung, Crucial, Ocz, Ultra etc, are all brands I see a lot. Samsung and Buffalo are the best prices I can find. I am buying pc3200 ddr400.

If I buy Samsung or Buffalo am I going to be asking for trouble?

Thanks for any advice,

Babar

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Samsung is allright they do make alot of the modules other companies use(in fact they make alot of electronics for other companies all the memory in my computer and my monitor was made by samsung and only the monitor is actually a samsung).

Buffalo ive never heard of but you get regional brands that can be different companies or branches of a company from somewhere else.

The best memory is from corsair and 9 times out of 10 its the cheapest for what you are getting, cheap ram you get what you pay for timings wont be great and there will be a higher chance of having errors, i like corsair because the value select is still just as good and reliable as the rest of its memory.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hi I am in the market for new ram. My quetsion is does brand really matter?
I am not a tech and not into over clocking etc, I game a little Age of mythology age of empires that sort of thing.

Kingston, Buffalo, Samsung, Crucial, Ocz, Ultra etc, are all brands I see a lot. Samsung and Buffalo are the best prices I can find. I am buying pc3200 ddr400.

If you buy generic memory, you run the slight risk of your board not liking it and you in a pickle because if you send it back, they'll probably find nothing wrong with it and therefore no refund or exchange.

If you buy cheap memory, then you again run the risk of it going faulty quicker or other symptoms.

If you buy Kingston memory, it usually only fails if you mistreat it quite badly, otherwise it'll outlast the system. But again because its classed as generic memory, see above. But you do get lifetime warranty on it.

Crucial can go one of two ways; if you buy a generic stick, they won't refund if your board doesn't like it. But if you use their wizard and the memory they send you doesn't work in your board despite them saying that it does (because you used the wizard), then you get an exchange or your money back. But the memory is on a par with Kingston stuff because again it'll last out the rest of the system and beyond.

Memory is one of the most critical parts of your computer; if that doesn't work properly because you skimped on it for cost reasons, then you're only making a rod for your own back.

rov

rov

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have 2 sticks of 1g kingston ddr400
no problems with them

only $165 for the two, with a lifetime warranty included

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Corsair has a better rep and quality than kingston though.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Yeah, Corsair is great, i once went unbranded...those were dark days.

Crucial are good, they are cheap and usually quite good (iv never had problems with them).

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
get corsair, corsair value select or if they are out of those by a chance look at the ocz or ocz valuram or last the mushkin is good.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
hands down corsair, from all levels of manufactures PCs, gamer to basics, corsair is in most of them. Corsair RAM is very well known, get XMS for gaming or valueselect for basics. Geil is hard out gaming and cost the earth for small boosts of preformance. they also don't have as good rep. so Corsair Corsair Corsair