Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

small question... can anyone help?

• Please log in to reply

joby

joby

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I reformatted my computer and now I've lost the ability to change my screen resolution.. is there an easy fix for this??? Please help if you can.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Win XP is pretty good about having drivers for most monitors that allow screen res changes. If you can not resize by using the usual way from the Desktop, try going to the manufacturer of your monitor and see if they have any updated drivers.

May have a User Permission problem, but don't see how if you have access as Admin.

How have you tried to change the res so far?

Ron

joby

joby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The only way I know of to change the res size. is through control panel then display and then settings. Is there other ways?

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Sounds like your missing the video card drivers.

Please go here

start/
control panel/
system/
hardware tab/
device manager button/

Note down any red x's yellow ? or !

Also note down your make and model of video card if you don't know then please follow the instructions below

Download Everest Home edition run a scan and attach the log to your next post

Everest

Once you have it running, click on REPORT and the Report Wizard should run. When you come to the REPORT PROFILES page of the wizard, make sure you have radio button next to System Summary Only selected. Then click NEXT, you can leave HTML selected and click FINISH. The report will then be generated and a new window will appear. In this new window that appears, click SAVE TO FILE and save the report as REPORT.HTM somewhere on your computer where you will remember its location. Please attach this file to your reply.

Now remember to ADD THE FILE AS AN ATTACHMENT and not just copy/paste it in your next reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

The only way I know of to change the res size. is through control panel then display and then settings. Is there other ways?

Hi:

These steps will get you to the same place as Control Panel. Maybe quicker:

1) Right-click on your Desktop
2) Choose "Propertires"
3) Select "Settings" tab
4) Click "Advance" button and check: "Apply the new display settings without restarting". Click OK button
5) Select screen res with "Screen resolution" slider. Click OK button
6) Accept or cancel on next popup box for new setting

While the Settings tab is selected, you should see some info about your Display. Mine says, "Plug and Play Monitor on ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D Rage Pro AGP 2x. Hopefully, yours has something similar, but it is always a good idea to check the manufacturer's site for up-to-date drivers.

Ron