Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blocking of Active Content in IE6

• Please log in to reply

NicholsonITS

NicholsonITS

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a web site which receives about 6k hits a week, but many visits are being terminated because IE6 blocks the Active Content as a result of Javascript. Although this can be overturned on each page, many people are put-off by the dreadful warnings which MS seem to find necessary to display.
The site is: www.thenileandegypt.com - with various sub-pages such as: www.thenileandegypt.com/luxor.html
Is there any progamming technique or anything I should be doing with the Javascript which overcomes Microsoft's overwhelming desire to put people off enjoying the site?
Also, Pop-up blockers often prevent 'child' windows from being opened which show larger pictures of the thumbnails on the main pages. How do I overcome that?
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You cannot overcome that. The only thing that you can do is stop using java. Create motion Gif images or flash images to get the animation you want.

The reason these safeguards are in place is so that people with ill-intentions cannot install malicious code onto your machine and infect the browsers of different websites. These safeguards are there for the users protection and cannot be circumvented. If they could be, you would not find that information here.

ScHwErV :tazz:

NicholsonITS

NicholsonITS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Many thanks for your response. I had the impression that what you say was for the most part correct. There still seem to be two circumstances which generate the IE warnings on my site, which does not occur on other sites that I have noticed.
1. The macromedia flash animation on www.thenileandegypt.com homepage
2. The floating 'Homepage' button script on the sub-pages - www.thenileandegypt.com/luxor.html - for example. The original code from - http://www.hypergurl...ssageontop.html - does not seem to generate the warning.
Any ideas why that may be?
Kind regards - NicholsonITS