Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A pair of Samsung memory modules & OCZ memory modules

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I previously had posted on another forum to see whether there could be a solution to my problem. Well, unfortunately none of the suggestions really helped Whenever I used both pairs together my computer kept crashing. Anyway the problem is described in the next bunch of lines.
I purchased my computer in Jan. 2004, at that time I received a pair of 1GB (2x512MB) RAM of Samsung modules - M368L6423ETM - CCC, which run at 3.0-3-3-8 at 2.7V.
In Sept. 2005 I purchased another 1GB (2x512MB) pair of OCZ RAM modules - OCZ4001024ELDCGE-K from Newegg.com which run at 2.5-2-2-7 at 2.775V & well to this date I have been trying to come up with solutions but to be honest nothing has been going my way.
I contacted Newegg & they're willing to replace this pair I purchased from them as it is still under warranty. The thing is, someone told me that these 2 pairs will just not work together no matter what. I didn't quite understand what he/she meant. If I got the pair I purchased from Newegg replaced would there be a chance of the two pairs working together or is that these two certain models will not work together ? Are they not working together because they both run at different timings ?

Here's a look at my attempts to solve this annoying problem:

http://www.bleedined...ead.php?t=17146

According to the manufacturer the slowest the OCZ RAM modules will run at is 2.5-3-3-8 but the Samsung's fastest is 3.0-3-3-8, Samsung's timings cannot be altered one bit. I cannot get a refund only a replacement & just was wondering whether there would be a point of that.
Think a replacement might solve the problem ?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. There is no guaranteed results when ever you mix RAM modules from different manufacturers. In theory, they should work at the lowest speed amoung the modules but as you can attest, this is not always the case. My question is, why didn't you just get Samsung modules to match the ones you already had? That would be the best way. If you get replacement OCZ modules, will they work or not. No way to tell until you try it. No guarantee. Sorry.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ok I get your point that no definite answer can be given about whether the replacement will work or not. Do you think the RAM modules are not working together because of the difference in their timings or is it something else? What do you 'personally' feel is causing the problem?
Also about your question, well, I never knew using different manufacturer's modules would really matter, especially because for my old computer I had upgraded a 256MB stick of Kingston with a 256MB stick of PNY so I figured using different manufacturer's wouldn't really make a difference. Also, these RAM modules had very good timings (2.5-2-2-7), a heat spreader & good reviews, what's not to like about it ! I guess should have consulted this forum before purchasing. Anyway nothing can be done about the past need to see what can be done about this now. Really appreciate the help.
Thanks

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I have no idea why they won't work together as is. You could take out the Samsung modules, put the OCZ modules in and then run Memtest86+ on them http://www.memtest.org/ You could repeat the process on the Samsung modules. If they both test good, nothing wrong them them. If you put them in at the same time it they don't work, well, they just won't work together. Your BEST course of action is not to mix. This does not mean you can't mix. I have Crucial and Simpletech working togther in one of my AMD systems, no problems.