Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen Restart and Crashes, Windows XP Goes to Blue Screen and Sh

• Please log in to reply

FlukeFred

FlukeFred

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Being a bit of a novice when it comes to computers, then my Dell Dimension 1100 crashed on me yesterday, displaying a blue screen with an error message on it.

I keep ending up at the blue screen. I've tried starting in safe mode, tried with most recent configuration and no luck. Sometimes it gets to the Windows XP logo page with the scrolling bar, but this moves VERY slowly and continues forever (with no activity from the hard drive).
One of the blue screen messages I got was this:

[COLOR=Blue]A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: oxooooooED (Ox81E8FE30, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I am studying abroad, and I don’t have my Windows XP disk with me.

Hope there is someone out there who can spare some time to help me out. Please?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you do not have a windows xp disk, download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

This will give you a recovery console to use to run

Insert in non-functioning CD, set the PC to boot to the cd-rom first in the boot order section of bios (get there by pressing f1,f2, or del depending on machine while memory is counting up)

When boot begins, a windows setup will appear to start, but you will be taken to a recovery console. You will need to select your windows installation by pressing a number, then typing in the administrator password, which is blank for XP Home or whatever you set when you installed your machine for XP Pro.

After entering the password, you will find yourself at a command prompt

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

follow the prompts, then when it is complete, type

EXIT, to reboot

Remove CD from drive

Fix?

FlukeFred

FlukeFred

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Perfect. Thanks for all the help. You basically saved a project I was working on.
Fred

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
:tazz:

glad to help