Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

saturn1975

saturn1975

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I had a computer given to me. However i cant get into it. At start up i need a password how do i get around this.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you get the password from the person who gave it to and then change the password to something you can remember

There are several passwords that you could be referring to

You can set up a password in bios that will prevent the machine from even booting up, plus the various windows passwords. You need to specify what password when you ask the person you got this from

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
You'll have to get the password from the person who gave you the computer. You could try to type in "admin" or "login".

Those are usually the default passwords for a new computer. Let me know how it went.

FKG

saturn1975

saturn1975

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The fellow does not recall the password.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
then how did he start his system?

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Be more specific to the perosn your asking and theyrll remember. Edited to remove advice to "hack your way in". We do NOT advise people to do that, even as a joke

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
We understand your predicament, however we cannot teach you how to circumvent the password. Even though your reason may be legit, and you truly may have been given (or bought) the pc...the next person looking to bypass a password may very well be doing so to hack someone's computer. We cannot, therefore, tell you how...because we'd end up helping someone break the law down the line. :tazz:

Thanks for understanding. :)