Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Program idea-Beat way to go abuot

• Please log in to reply

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Iv got an idea for a basic to most but highly complex to me program and i want to know how to do it is visual basic. I presume its possible.

I want to have a form that asks your favorite car and gves you the options in the form of radio buttons each representing a different car. Only like 4 or so. There will will be a text box requiring the input of the users name. Three command buttons will be on too, one called submit, one called view results and one called exit. So each peron who does it gets their name and their favourite recorded and it can be viewd via the view reuslts command button.

How can i pull this off? Im sure its possible. I'm new to this and it could be out of my league but i want to try it.]

I made the entry form and am about to make the results one. So i just need a good source to help me code. I figure that doing this will help me learn much faster, usually works that way for me.

Edited by StudentBusiness12, 18 February 2006 - 10:49 AM.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Wuz up, I will be glad to help you build this program. Sounds good, when I started programing I just played around changing colors of the backround to the text in a command button. But I guess your idea will teach you alot. Just send the source you have done already so we can go over it. I will help you if you have any errors or problem. If you want I can help you with coding to. Just let me know what I can do for you. :)

Im sure its possible

YES, it is 100% possible, anything you imagine and more on your computer, can be done using programing. There are NO limmits at all. :)

Cool, keep me posted. Goodluck :tazz:

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Dont think you know what your letting yourself in for. When i say im i mean really new and dont know much. The point of this is to learn what i need. The bit iv no idea about is how to make it so it records each persons choice. Iv noo idea all how to do that, hence the point of starting upon this project, to read, learn and build.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Dont think you know what your letting yourself in for

I love challenges :)

Ok lets do this step by step if you need help understanding why we are doing the things we are doing, just let me know. Ok start by adding those objects you talked about, eg. command buttons, text boxes, ect. Heres a picture to just show you basic layout of how you might want to do it.

Posted Image

For now we will just put in the code for the Exit button, name the exit button "cmd_exit", open the code window and paste the code in there.

Private Sub cmd_exit_Click()
End
End Sub

I take it when you mean show resualts you want to see statistics, how many people like BMW or what ever the car may be.

Tell me when you done with that code and what you want to do next. :tazz:

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Will do, thanks soooo much for your help. One problem, iv got a call and need to quickly nip out. Ill be back real soon and do the above and then report back.

Thanks again. :tazz:

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Back, done all of the above. The rest if it is where im hopeless! No idea how to set each part up so it records it.!

Im doing some reading and trying to find some relevent info to help me so i should find some soon hopefully.

Ok im doing some coding now it isnt entirely related to the above but its a practice test. Ill do this and show you. Itll help me be able to do complete the next step.

Edited by StudentBusiness12, 18 February 2006 - 04:41 PM.

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Change of plan. I made a much simpler program based around the same principles. I need to know how use some sort of data storage in conjunction with VB in order to store login details for example. Probably going to start a new project for this anyway. :tazz:

Edited by StudentBusiness12, 19 February 2006 - 05:00 AM.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hi, ok where do you want login details to be stored, registry or in a file???

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hmm. im thinking in a file.