Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

more "direct" way to install this printer?

• Please log in to reply

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I have a Lexmark x83 All-in-one printer. I need to install it onto a Windows XP computer. However, whenever I try to, it will start by copying some files then will get to a screen that says "plug the USB into the computer and printer to continue" and waits for me to plug it in. I plug it in, with the printer on and ready. Upon connecting it the CPU usage will jump to 100%, and the window will flash quickly kmaking it very hard to do just about anything since the window will just flash back on top of everything (However I've tried and there are no other windows.) I've tried everything I could including different usb ports, updating usb drivers, but it doesn't help.

I don't want to admit it, but for the benefit of understanding what could be wrong, there is an "obtained" lite version of Windows XP Professional on this computer. I'm usually for that kind of stuff, but since this computer is so old it seemed to be the best way for me to bring life back to it. But anyway it's very probable that something has been removed from the xp installation that is making this problem surface.

I was hoping there would be a more direct way to install the drivers possibly by manually copying files myself. I would've asked Lexmark but I went to their site and can't find any help except by e-mail.

edit: this is probably in the wrong forum... move the the hardware/periphreal section if necessary)

Edited by MNOB07, 18 February 2006 - 10:55 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What is a "lite" version of XP Pro? How does that work then? How did you "obtain" this?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The printer would be connected but not switched on before starting to install, then switched on when it says to plug in.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
It's basically Windows XP but with all the unnecessary stuff that you don't use removed but is otherwise fully functional. The one I have is great: only about a sixth of the size of the normal cd, and on a fresh install it only takes up about 40 megs of ram and doesn't need much processing power at all, so my P2 with 96MB RAM can run it without a problem even with several windows open and such. At least, it would be fully functional if I could get this printer working with it... I actually was able to install the drivers but there was still no communication with the printer so I had to uninstall them.

And the order/operation of connecting the printer doesn't seem to be producing different results.

Any other ideas? Maybe I missed something after installing the drivers: could it have been a port problem? I tried several ports like COM1 COM2, etc. but nothing was working if that was even the problem. I didn't see "USB" anywhere.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, scroll to USB controllers, click +

What is there