Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re-installing software/hardware

• Please log in to reply

siscotty

siscotty

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Gateway 2000, and have wiped it clean for reasons we won't look back on. I installed a new modem, and got that running. I have Mpact Mediaware, which I used the disk to install. Oh... and Windows 98. I have Sound Blaster Audio PCI 64V, but the power cord on my original speakers broke. I plugged in new speakers "polk audio". bottom line:

My sound card isn't being recognized. I installed all the software I have, and don't have a clue how to reinstall the sound card. It should recognize it, right? I had ensoniq, etc. but don't know what's left. How can I get the sound card to start back up?

I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. and it takes me forever to fumble my way through these things, but usually I can figure it out. This one has me stumped. Can anyone help me with this?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Go into device manager and see if it is listed, if it has a yellow exclamation point by it you might not have loaded the drivers for it, if this is the case remove it thru device manager and reboot.

The found new hardware wizard will appear on reboot, put the cards driver cd in then follow the on screen instructions.

If the wizard does not appear try installing it in a different pci slot and try again.

Rick

DogWaffle

DogWaffle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, I'm having that problem too..

Unfortunately, my windows 98 CD doesn't have the polk audio drivers!! I have absolutely no clue where to find them now, I've looked on windows update, I've searched the web, Any Ideas?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try looking at diverguid.com here

Rick