Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SYNC OUT OF RANGE

• Please log in to reply

cowboys

cowboys

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi from Italy; this time is involved my brother's computer (win2000)
I'm not able to do nothing to repair it !
When I turn on the computer the first thing I see, is a box blu and red with "SYNC OUT OF RANGE" write in.
then I see the normal starting message (memory check etc.etc.) and then appear an italian message with black screen that in eglish sound like that:
" reading disk error
ctrl. alt. canc. to restart"

the computer stop there and no other activities start; no operating system windows start.
What I can do ??????
Please help me !

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Topic moved here...

That might be a problem with the screen resolution. Can you boot into Safe Mode and try changing the resolution?

Doesn't sound too good on the disk read error though...see what you can do with Safe Mode first.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Use your windows xp disk to enter the recovery console

You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 pr del key during memory count up, then searching for boot order, and setting the CD as the first boot device)

When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for recovery console. You will be asked to log in.

For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit enter. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.

Once at the Recovery console c:\windows prompt, type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

Take a long walk, as this will take a while

If you do not have a windows xp disk, download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

This will give you a recovery console to use to run

Insert in non-functioning CD, set the PC to boot to the cd-rom first in the boot order section of bios (get there by pressing f1,f2, or del depending on machine while memory is counting up)

When boot begins, a windows setup will appear to start, but you will be taken to a recovery console. You will need to select your windows installation by pressing a number, then typing in the administrator password, which is blank for XP Home or whatever you set when you installed your machine for XP Pro.

After entering the password, you will find yourself at a command prompt

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

follow the prompts, then when it is complete, type

EXIT, to reboot

Remove CD from drive

Fix?

cowboys

cowboys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have done the same thing you tell me in different way ....
I take the hard disk and mount it as slave in another pc; when starting it check the disk and found a lot of lost chain or something about sector but then everything works; so I copy all data I need without any error or problems (i think I was very lucky :) ) . Then i remount he hard disk on the original pc and format it with XP PRO original system disk and reinstall everything with the backup copy of my data.
The message "Out of sync" is about the monitor but now is disappeared .....

So ... thank you as every time you suggest the right way !

Great Job babies :tazz:

Greetings from Italy :)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fwiw -- the outof sync error was just your monitor telling you it did not support the resolution or it was not getting a signal...the other error was the real issue