Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Checkpoint problems - Dell Dimension 4300 Win98

• Please log in to reply

leedzy

leedzy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Having trouble rebooting a Dell Dimension 4300 running Win98 - It either hangs on the Dell Logo page while loading what I assume is the BIOS, just hangs and the monitor says "Monitor is in Standby Mode" or it displays "Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [CRT?] or at checkpoint [VINI]" The system was working until a power failure/surge...I'm not sure which as it's not my computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW I am somewhat computer literate in an old schoool way and I'm not afraid to pull and reseat cards, memory, etc...I just like to have some idea what I'm pulling before I do. Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Looks like your power surge/failure has sent a voltage up the PSU and could have either damaged the board or the hard drive. Usually if it hangs for a while on the POST screen (in your case, the DELL logo), its almost always the hard drive at fault.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Will it boot in Safe Mode? May have corrupted boot files if PC was on at the time and Windows 98 didn't close properly. Do you get any POST signals out of the ordinary when booting? Have you tried re-installing Win 98 or booting from the boot diskette made at install? Know I missed several questions on this. Hitting the sack right after this post.

Ron

leedzy

leedzy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried booting from a win98 cd...no go. I guess I'd better start figuring if it's worth replacing the HD or the board if it needs it. The system is several years old and I doubt the owner would want to put any money into it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hang another good working HD off that machine and see if it gets past the DELL logo quicker, it doesn't matter if the new HD has anything on it.

Failing that, hang the original hard drive off another machine and see if that can find it.

Either way you'll find out which part's gone. If the board's gone, it'll probably be cheaper replacing the whole lot than hunting around for something specific to that user's requirements.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Will it boot in Safe Mode? May have corrupted boot files if PC was on at the time and Windows 98 didn't close properly. Do you get any POST signals out of the ordinary when booting? Have you tried re-installing Win 98 or booting from the boot diskette made at install? Know I missed several questions on this. Hitting the sack right after this post.

Ron

I tried booting from a win98 cd...no go. I guess I'd better start figuring if it's worth replacing the HD or the board if it needs it. The system is several years old and I doubt the owner would want to put any money into it.

I think a few questions were left unanswered. If you had something really fried, I would think your POST signals would let you know something, plus, I don't think you would have gotten as far as the LOGO.

But, then, if you don't think it is worth troubleshooting, then I'll consider this theme closed and unsubscribe.

Ron

leedzy

leedzy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'd try, but I don't have spares around. I'll keep it and maybe try at a later time. Thanks for your help tho!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I'd try, but I don't have spares around. I'll keep it and maybe try at a later time. Thanks for your help tho!

Are you replying to Neil Jones or me?

My questions didn't relate to changing anything at this time, but it is a good idea to "hang another HD" route if you are not answering previously posted questions. Trying to gather information from you before having you do all this, but barrel ahead and good luck.

Ron