Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Problems

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I am trying to establish why my printers are not printing correcly.

I was using a Canon BJC 2100 and Hewlett Packard Deskjet 540. I had them both connected one to the USB and one to the normal 20 pin connection. One day I received a warning of power surge at the USB port so I inquired about it with a technician and he told me to disconnect one of the cables.

anyway a few weeks ago I started encountering printing problems. I have tried installing new cartridge in BJC 2100 but I still get whie lilnes through the text etc. I have tried cleaning the printer heads. I did the same for my Deskjet 540 but the cartridge leaked through the printer and made quite a mess so I through the old cartridge out and retired the printer. Right now I am using a Canon BJ-200 with the same problem arising. The cartridge is old and not exactly overflowing with ink.

Anyway I am wondering if the problem is with the driver, the port, or is it basically a clooged print head.

Is there anyway to check the integrity of the USB ports.

Regards

Waynf

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Since the computer and the printer are communicating, it is probably not a USB problem. The easy check is to switch cables, or plug in a known working device to the USB slot you are using.

Your printer problem sounds like it could use another cartrididge. If you are using XP for the printer then it shouldn't matter whether you are using the USB connection or the pin connection cord. I would troubleshoot that printer before I did anything to XP.

Johanna

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
As a followup, I'm just wondering if my printer problems could be memory-related.

Last week I installed Acrobat Reader version 5.0, Nero Sound Card, a CD-WR. It was about then that printer problems started occuring. Here's my breakdown.

192 Ram
6.75 Gigabytes on Hard Drive(50% used)
Pentium 4
Additonal Programs: Avast Antivirus-Spybot S&D, Service Pak 2 with Firewalls, Yahoo Messenger With Voice. Yahoo Toolbar with Anti-Spy

Just a thought

I know there's a memory problem somewhere becuse I copied an e-mail to Clipboard and tried to past it on Miscosof Word and received a dialoge box advising me there was not enough memory on disc.

Waynf