Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New first time comp build... not working.

• Please log in to reply

Zupra

Zupra

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Four months ago I bought a new computer from newegg(all the parts from scratch)
And I experianced a problem along the way, my computer only turned on for about a milisecond then turend off, so I thought it was the psu, which it was. So I went and bought a new 600w PSU. It fixed the problem!!!!

But, now my problem is that when I turn on the computer with everything plugged in where it should be it stays on for 5 seconds, so I plugged the 12V capble out from the psu, and somehow it turned on no problem, but no monitor.

So really my problem is no monitor at all... and the computer only stays on when you have the 12V cable plugged out...

For all the things i've tryed.... I tryed 3 differnt vid cards, reset CMOS, and bought a new mobo(the same one)

Here are my specs:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ATX AMD Motherboard
1 Gig ram
eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256 vid card
a 600w PSU
AMD athlon 64 3800+..
2 HDDS 1 80 gig and 1 40 gig

Please help me, no computer for 4 months, I can't do computer projects and I can't play games, IT'S HORRIBLE!

Also, no lights on my Razr or keyboard.

Edited by Zupra, 18 February 2006 - 01:40 PM.

Advertisements

Zupra

Zupra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Anyone?

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hmmm....your mobo is a top end job, but the A8N series seem to cause a lot of problems. What make is the PSU?

Zupra

Zupra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I don't know actually =\ let me go find it.

By the way, I had the same mobo before but I thought it was the mobo being faulty so I bought another one, maybe it's faulty too becuase it only runs without the 4 pin 12V connector?

Zupra

Zupra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
XGBox Vortec 600 that's the PSU

Zupra

Zupra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Last night I did the thing with the setting it on cardboard..... didn't work

By the way, the 40 gig has my OS and everything on it if it helps

Zupra

Zupra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Still....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Right okily dokily, not to worry im here.

Have you tried all this:
By Doby

BIOS beep codes

1- Make sure you have a case speaker connected, if you are getting 1 long continuous beep this indicates the system can’t find usable ram, reseat the ram, try different ram or try the ram in a different dimm slot

2- 1 long 2 short indicates video error reseat the video card, try another video card

Nothing on the screen with no beeps

1-Make sure the hs (heatsink) is installed properly, tight with thermal paste applied
2-Make sure the cpu fan is connected to the correct header on the motherboard
3-Clear the cmos by unplugging the computer removing the battery then move the clear cmos jumper from pins 1&2 to 2&3 for 10 minutes
4-Replace the battery and move the jumper back to pins 1&2
5-Verify all motherboard jumpers are set correctly
6-Verify all case connections are correct ( case switch ect.)
7-Verify the power supplies 20/24 pin and 4pin 12v are tightly seated to the motherboard

Still won’t go

1-Remove all drives and cards except the video, remove front sound and usb
2-Repeat the above
3-The idea here is to get the computer to post and boot into bios if after doing so you are able to get into bios let the computer idle in bios for a while and watch the temps and voltages.
4-If everything appears normal load the bios defaults and make sure to save and exit
5-Now add the drives and install windows then add the remaining cards

Still won’t go

1-Remove the motherboard from the case and place on a piece of cardboard
2-Install only the cpu with hsf, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, psu, video card, case switch and case speaker
3-Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
4-Repeat the above and power on
5-If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Now that thes out of the way, have you A. remebered to reinstall a clean OS onto the drive and not use one from an old computer.

And B have you tried running memtest{ Run memtest on each stick individually for a few hours on each stick, if it picks up immediate errors you neednt bother running it the full length as it indicates really badly damaged ram }.

You also really need to put the 4 pin connector in as thats the power for the CPU you arent going to get far without that, have you tried another cpu it sounds like its the only thing you havent swapped out yet.

Zupra

Zupra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I will try all that when I get to my other house.

With the OS I do have it on the older one but how do I reinstall it with no screen?

memtest?

And the computer will only run without the 4 pin?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If it doesnt run without the 4 pin there is something wrong as thats the cpu power you want get a picture with no cpu, if its not starting up with it properly connected its a different problem.

At the moment my intuition points cpu as its the only thing you havent replaced, but it could be that motherboard they are notorious.

Could you try the gfx card on another computer make sure it works, i dont think its the problem but it would be nice to eliminate it.

Also by nothing on the screen is it a no signal or a blank screen.

Edited by warriorscot, 24 February 2006 - 04:15 PM.

Advertisements

Zupra

Zupra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
So I should replace the CPU?

Sorry for all the questions, I bet i'm getting a lil annoying, but then again, i'm only 13.

Also none of my other computers can run that card.

Edited by Zupra, 24 February 2006 - 04:31 PM.

Zupra

Zupra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Andt yes it will NOT run with the 4 pin connector.

EDIT: Just ordered a case speaker.

Edited by Zupra, 24 February 2006 - 05:18 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
So youve had a not working computer for 4 months and you didnt think you might need a primary diagnostic tool lik a case speaker.

I would wait till you get a speaker so you can here a beep code it should help narrow it down.

Does the gfx card not work because your other pcs are incompatible or because its not working.

Have you a friend that has a compatible computer that would let you try the card.

Zupra

Zupra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I bought it then went on vacation for a month, then ran into some other problems and now i'm at where I actually needed the speaker.

It's because all my other pcs do not have pciE slots.

I don't have friends.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
WOW, no friends no wonder you miss your computer, well if you cant get access to a pci-e slot then well assume the card is ok for the moment, its about all we can do for now until you try everything suggested and get the speaker hooked up.