Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Dial Tone

• Please log in to reply

O'Really

O'Really

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My friend just gave me his old laptop. I have dial up connection and I use AOL 9.0 Optimized SE. I installed AOL and hooked the phone cord to the computer and directly to the wall. When I try to sign on it would try to find a modem and couln't find one. I called AOL and they told me to call a computer tech. I got it to reconize that there is a modem but it keeps saying I have no dial tone. I checked another phone in the house and sure enough there was a dail tone. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
hey O'Really welcome to geeks to go!!! :tazz:
"sure enogh there was a tialtone" thats kind of confushing, we are internet and browsers guys not phone repairmen. it sounds as though it is an issue with your phone service not your computer, if you are able to connect from one phone jack but not the others that is your telephone providers problem it has nothing to do with the lappy. oh and aol has been known to duck things, so that dosent realy mean much. i whould suggest you contact your phone provider.

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi there OReally

try the following

Ensure that AOL is offline, click the Help Menu at the top of the screen and select the AOL Help option. Alternatively, press the F1 key on the keyboard to launch the AOL Offline Help section.
Click the plus icon (+) to expand the Connecting to the AOL service options
Click the plus icon (+) to expand the Resolving connection Problems section
Click Modem has reported No Dial Tone and follow the troubleshooting steps.

RNB

RNB

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,
I think your connection settings are not correct, so check your connection that you created (Dial no. & dialing rule, etc).

If every thing is correct then check out your modem (Attached & installed correctly) by:
right-click on my comp. --> properties --> Hardware --> Device Manager ==> Is there any yellow mark??